Real life MMD: Should I keep the train voucher?

Options

Comments

• minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not clued in about company policy or anything but you should ask your boss. If they find out later that you kept the vouchers, you might get into trouble to keeping it from them. If your boss says keep them then congrats to you!
  • greatauntyjacky
    greatauntyjacky Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 16 March 2011 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Yes keep them - you were the one that was inconvenienced and your firm is not out of pocket in any way. Not many perks in life any more - consider it a very small perk and enjoy an eco weekend away somewhere.
    :A
  • dave2
    dave2 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2011 at 7:14PM
    Options
    If you were on company time the refund is to the company. You personally were not inconvenienced, the company's employee was inconvenienced.

If you were not on company time the picture is less clear cut. There are valid arguments either way:
    a - the vouchers are compensation for poor service which only affected you, therefore the compensation is soley yours.
    b - the vouchers are a refund. The company paid the ticket and hence the refund is theirs. Put another way, if the company had approved and reimbursed you for the £288 journey, would you consider it appropriate to then cancel, rebook a less convenient but cheaper route and then pocketed the difference?

Since the company paid for the ticket it seems clear that they should have the final say (personally I'd be happily telling you to keep the vouchers if it was me making the decision).

It seems clear to me that you need to discuss this with the company. Evidently you believe so too else you wouldn't have posted the question!
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 March 2011 at 7:11PM
    Options
    You should raffle the vouchers and give the money raise to a charity. That way you can't be accused of making money out of your firm and a good cause will benefit from your inconvenience. But I agree you should check with your line manager first in case the firm has a policy on this.
  • Minto50
    Options
    Dilemma???
    What dilemma?
    Your employer paid exactly what they would have paid.
    There is no down side for them.
    Enjoy a few jaunts on more pleasurable journeys.
  • wonka
    wonka Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to me a few times a couple of years ago, I don't ever recall experiencing a moral dilemma. I applied for compensation, received vouchers, and spent them.

The employer is none the wiser. How could the employer ever find out, unless you tell them?
    Of course, I may just be talking b****cks!
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How is this a dilemma?
    You found out you was entitled to a refund.
    You applied for a refund.
    You received a refund.
    THEREFORE KEEP THE REFUND. SOLVED.
  • mancmum
    mancmum Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    I had booked and insured a member of our staff for a train journey. He had to travel the freezing weekend after Christmas and was delayed but not long enough to claim on the travel insurance policy.

I found out that he could claim for the delay from the rail company and told him about it, told him to do and to keep the refund.

He had to do the legwork to make the refund.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    If it's really a dilemma for you then , for your own peace of mind , ask for clarification from your company .

If you were paid hourly I could see the reason for doing this , but otherwise I do not see any great moral compromise in you picking up the compensation due for your delay .

Come on MSE , let's have a real conscience-wringer next time !
  • Jeanann_2
    Jeanann_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    If you hadn't complained you wouldn't have received the refund and you were inconvenienced and lost time so the refund should be yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure