We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ISP address

Hi,

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question! Does an Ipad and Iphone have an ISP address like a computer?

Thanks for any help.
«1

Comments

  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    assume you mean an IP address ??
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • dg1dd1ngs_2
    dg1dd1ngs_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    You mean IP address? ;)

    An IP address is unique to an internet connection not a device/computer/ipad etc

    If I connect to the internet on my iPhone then my laptop the IP address would be the same.

    You can assign computers and devices different IP's but explaining that is for another day.. :D
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • tumbletots
    tumbletots Posts: 177 Forumite
    Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I did mean IP address. Knew I was going to sound stupid even before I posted the thread!!
  • dg1dd1ngs_2
    dg1dd1ngs_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    It wasn't stupid, never think that :)
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    dg1dd1ngs wrote: »
    An IP address is unique to an internet connection not a device/computer/ipad etc

    Actually you're wrong. Each device connected will have a different IP address.

    For example

    PC - 123.456.7.1
    Laptop - 123.456.7.2
    Wii - 123.456.7.3
    Wireless Printer - 123.456.7.4

    and so on.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • Strange. My PS3, Printer, Laptop and desktop all have the same....
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Maybe your own ISP only allocates 1 IP address per customer which is bizarre really.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    You can't have 2 or more devices on a network with the same IP Address. They will throw-up an error message.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

    Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

    3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

  • Yeah, I asked my dad and he confirmed what was said above. If I wasn't actually reading it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it...
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    1 ip address per broadband customer/connection is normal, a router splits that into multiple local 192 addresses so you can attach more than one device to the net
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.