We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

getting a stable signal

2

Comments

  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    C'mon kwikbreaks, you've been reading that iPAD thread for 20 minutes, and there are only 4# in it !

    redcard.gif

    I may have opened the iPad thread on my 24x7 PC which I use for all sorts of stuff but don't recall reading it. So sorry but another fail on your part. You really must be a sad git spying on other board users too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    If I understand correctly, you are seeing this while using a wi-fi connection. Try using a wired connection. If this stabilises things then it points to interference on the wi-fi knocking the speed down. Maybe other people using the same channel, signal dropping due to laptop positioning or even people walking between your router and your laptop.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    redcard.gif

    I may have opened the iPad thread on my 24x7 PC which I use for all sorts of stuff but don't recall reading it. So sorry but another fail on your part. You really must be a sad git spying on other board users too.

    I was waiting for your indignant response, never mind mate :D

    0oooop's
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Unlike many boards this one has an excellent facility for dealing with idiots...

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Is Black Bess getting enough hay? Its a long way from wherever to York.

    PS If OP returns they might try changing their wifi channel, if thats what they are using.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Unlike many boards this one has an excellent facility for dealing with idiots...

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

    No - you may be one - but I wont do that to you my friend :D
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • !!!!!! wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, you are seeing this while using a wi-fi connection. Try using a wired connection. If this stabilises things then it points to interference on the wi-fi knocking the speed down. Maybe other people using the same channel, signal dropping due to laptop positioning or even people walking between your router and your laptop.

    I found last night that by working this literally 12" away from the wifi box then it streams really well.....3.3mbps at times and uninterrupted TV.

    Where I was trying to use it was only 2 rooms away (and 2 walls) - neighbours don't have laptops but I think you might have something about the cable maintaining a stable signal


    thanks to everyone
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    OP, download inSSIDer, and scan for wireless signals .
    Ensure that yours is not being interferred with by changing the channel you use if necessary.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • OK, so I've downloaded it and have it running but not sure what I should see.

    Currently there are two laptops on the table receiving the signal from one wi-fi box

    log.jpg

    graph.jpg
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Wrong display, find the one that shows all the 2.4g channels
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.