We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

getting a stable signal

The provider I have (abroad) is incapable of supplying a constant & steady line speed for internet, one minute its fine - the "DU Speedmeter" is showing 2MBsec then within a minute or so it drops off to 250kbsec.....and it is infuriating to say the least when trying to watch streaming programs.......I'm no computer wizz but what it seems to me is that I need a kind of reservoir in the computer that will store the excess and hopefully tide me over

I've turned off all the other devices feeding off the wi-fi and applications on the lap-top and it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone got any suggestions of how to turn it to steady/constant flow?
«13

Comments

  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Are you talking about ADSL?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Dick_Turpin99
    Dick_Turpin99 Posts: 394 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2011 at 7:07PM
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Are you talking about ADSL?

    its broadband.....thing is if I go to something like BBC iplayer it will happily sit at anything above 1.3Mbps
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Do you get it down your telephone line?
    Who is your ISP?
    Can you post your router line statistics?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Download speeds that vary like that are usually caused by high contention. In short you've got an ISP that has oversold the service. I guess it isn't only rip-off Britain.
  • - he says he's not in Britain - read #1 - abroad - :D
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Whoops, I thought A broad was his ISP:rotfl:

    Still would be nice to see the stats.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    - he says he's not in Britain - read #1 - abroad - :D
    If that's addressed to me I suggest you need to read what I posted more carefully - I said I guess it isn't only rip off Britain... :D
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    If that's addressed to me I suggest you need to read what I posted more carefully - I said I guess it isn't only rip off Britain... :D

    It wasn't .. .. but keep your knickers on son .. .. and wipe yer snotty nose before you fly off the handle with people, even if you thought it was directed to you didn't you see the big disarming grin. :beer:

    Hey better have 8 and settle down to a more mellow kwikbreaks :beer: :beer: :beer:
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 March 2011 at 12:14AM
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    If that's addressed to me I suggest you need to read what I posted more carefully - I said I guess it isn't only rip off Britain... :D

    C'mon kwikbreaks, you've been reading that iPAD thread for 20 minutes, and there are only 4# in it !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • yes, I am overseas at the moment.


    Sorry to have caused confusion, wasn't my intention.

    I'm not very computer literate and when something only half works it can be more frustrating that not at all
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.