We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Applecare, or One-To-One?

I'm going to purchase an imac 21.5 in the next 5-6 weeks and I am wondering if either of the two support packages that apple offer are worth having? Are they V.F.M?

Also, Would I be correct in assuming that iWorks, is a word processing/spreadsheet package? Ideally we would be using it for this, plus internet/email and some photo editing, so I was also wondering if arpeture 3 is the suite for this or would it be an overspend?

Many thanks
«1

Comments

  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I think you can get Open Office for Mac for free if thats of use.
    Not as many Apple experts around as there are for PC's, however there are a number on here that could offer support.
    You don't appear to be too familiar with Macs, may I enquire why you are buying one and not a PC which would be considerably cheaper if not very stylish?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • penrhyn wrote: »
    I think you can get Open Office for Mac for free if thats of use.
    Not as many Apple experts around as there are for PC's, however there are a number on here that could offer support.
    You don't appear to be too familiar with Macs, may I enquire why you are buying one and not a PC which would be considerably cheaper if not very stylish?
    This will be my first mac, and so I sought advice from folk on here, and asked friends and family and all said "get a mac" and after using one in store I found it fare more streamlined and user-friendly- Windows I just find too mechanical and old school for my liking now. At least with Snow Leopard there's no messing around installing printer/router drivers etc. just type in your wireless password and away you go!

    Plus, Apple design and make the mac and all the software that comes with it, as opposed to windows which has too many third party applications involved (i.e, dell, sony vaio, etc) and I have been told you don't get any trouble with viruses as you do with windows.

    oh, and macs are the epitome of style!;-)
  • Moleie
    Moleie Posts: 22 Forumite
    I bought an Imac with Iworks in my first year of Uni. After a couple of weeks I found that Iworks struggled to deal with Excel and Word document types and this was really frustrating because it meant that I couldn't work on my assignments on the university computers (which were all Windows-based machines). In the end I buckled and bought Office for Mac.

    Anyway this was years ago, and I'm pretty sure the most recent copy of Iworks will have improved in terms of Office compatibility, but you're better off making sure! It's also worth noting that there are plenty of online retailers who offer Office dirt-cheap nowadays. Phoenix Software offer Microsoft Office for students for just under £40. You just need a university e-mail address to confirm you are actually a student.

    Good luck, I guarantee you'll love your new Mac.
  • I bought a mac with Office for Mac 2004 - it was really buggy and slow, but since updating it, it's much faster and rock-solid. As a student, I also bought the cover plan for only £42 at the time (2007) and it was really worth it. My Macbook had the ill-fated top case design which cracked and had to be replaced after a year of owning it. The battery also died toward the end of the three years of cover. The top case cracked again because I had not been told that the reason for it cracking in the first place was due to how I'd been closing the lid: you have to close it slowly and stop it landing hard on the top case - I'd just closed it without easing it shut.

    In any case (pardon the pun!), since apple introduced their unibody design, cracking plastics are a thing of the past. You should just get the cover in case - if a motherboard fails in a mac, a replacement + labour could cost you in the region of £700 (if you get it done at an Apple store). Such failures are very rare, but I'd get yourself covered, just for peace of mind. Don't forget that Apple have an impeccable customer service record too, so if something does go wrong and you've got Applecare, you can benefit from this without being landed with a huge bill!

    Hope this helps
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    LibreOffice (the replacement for 'Openoffice') opens MS Office files without any problems.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

    Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

    3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 2,003 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Apple customer service IS very good. The rare dealings I have had have been handled very well. I know someone who's iPhone was 2 days over warranttee and the people in the apple shop altered the purchase date to make it within warrantee then gave them a new handset
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    I don't think I'd pay for Apple Care. The information can be found on the internet and Sale of goods Act covers repairs.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    But he sale of good act doesn't cover stuff like batteries which the Applecare does.

    Just remember that you can only purchase the protection plan while still in the first year of ownership.

    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Mattjimf wrote: »
    But he sale of good act doesn't cover stuff like batteries which the Applecare does.

    Just remember that you can only purchase the protection plan while still in the first year of ownership.

    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html

    Apple warranty the batteries over and above the 1 year "guarantee". Apple batteries are guaranteed to still have a certain percentage of capacity after a set number of cycles and if its below that, they'll change it regardless of age. Add to that that a new Macbook Pro battery is considerably cheaper than the £200 for Applecare and it makes it even more pointless getting it.
  • Hammyman wrote: »
    Apple warranty the batteries over and above the 1 year "guarantee". Apple batteries are guaranteed to still have a certain percentage of capacity after a set number of cycles and if its below that, they'll change it regardless of age. Add to that that a new Macbook Pro battery is considerably cheaper than the £200 for Applecare and it makes it even more pointless getting it.

    Apple care is currently £139 on apple's website.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.