We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Camcorder for tape to PC conversion

newmee
newmee Posts: 397
Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 9 March 2011 at 5:23PM in Techie Stuff
Hi all, you brain boxes have never failed me yet!!

I have some mini Dv tapes of when my DD was little and would like to convert them to dvd or another format HOWEVER ex is in posession of the tapes and won't let me have them because he apparently has a few of 'his own' mixed in with them and none of them are labelled!! :eek: He also very kindly 'borrowed' my camcorder and swiftly cash converted it...anyhow, past is past & I digress.
He says the only way I can have them is if I can borrow a camcorder for him to look through them first....I haven't managed to do this. However, after reading online I saw it suggested that a cheap option for converting (if you don't have the original machine) is to buy a cheap / low spec camcorder and a live wire (something like that) and copy them all to your PC to do with as you will. Is this correct? Is this easy enough? and is this, that I found on ebay fit for this purpose?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3MP-1-5-LCD-MINI-DIGITAL-VIDEO-CAMERA-DV-136-CAMCORDER-/320666385071?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4aa934baaf

any advice welcomed as I have been trying to get these off him now for 5 years!

Thanks :)
The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
is just to love and be loved in return
:love:
Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
«1

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,644
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    If he has a DVD recorder, get a cheap camera off ebay and get him to play the tapes on it, dumping each one onto a DVD, which you can then have.
    I did a similar thing with old 8mm tapes I had from a camcorder. Was able to borrow an old camcorder that somebody had, and copied the tapes over. Took an age, but at least they're all on DVD now and I can pull bits from them into my PC should I desire.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • newmee
    newmee Posts: 397
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    neither of us have a recorder but sounds like a similar process to linking it straight to p.c. Did you look at the camcorder I linked to? If so what do you reckon? Thanks for responding :beer:
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    :love:
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,644
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Camera doesn't take tapes, only SD cards, so won't be of any use to you.
    You'd also still need a means to take the output from a camera and feed it into a computer.
    Does ex only have a computer onto which he could dump the video then?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • newmee
    newmee Posts: 397
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2011 at 5:41PM
    yes he does :( And thanks for spotting that re the card. I guess I'm better off looking for a second hand one which is tape compatible am I? Thanks for responding :beer:
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    :love:
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,644
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I would think you'd need something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyCAP-Video-Capture-Device-Audio/dp/B001G1NKXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299688811&sr=8-1
    to connect the camera (when you get one) to a PC, plus a shed load of free disk space!
    Never done it direct to PC, but doubtless someone on here has, and can say what software it's best to use - built in or freeware of course.:)

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • gerdo
    gerdo Posts: 196
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What you need is a camcorder that has a firewire port. This is necessary to transfer the images in high quality. You will also need software to capture the images. If you're buying a second hand camcorder, make sure the firewire port works, Sonys are renowned for the firewire ports failing.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless you're looking to make more tapes, why look for a camcorder (i.e. a recording machine)?

    Surely a better bet would be a standalone MiniDV playback deck - Sony used to make them, I'm sure......
  • doverswot
    doverswot Posts: 64
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2011 at 6:06PM
    Newme

    Finding a cheap mini DV camcorder on Ebay sounds like the best bet. The ones I've previously used require a firewire connection to transfer the information digitally to your PC. You may need to additionally buy a firewire connection for your PC as this doesn't come as standard. Once connected to your PC you can use the free MIcrosoft movie maker to copy the video.

    Other names used for a Firewire port is DV out and iLink.

    Good luck

    Victor2's option would use the analogue output of the camcorder which would result in some loss of quality as you'd be taking the video from digitial to analogue and back to digitial again.

    Re disk space required, a 1 hour SP mini DV tape will reqiore approx 15GB of disk space
  • newmee
    newmee Posts: 397
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    googler wrote: »
    Unless you're looking to make more tapes, why look for a camcorder (i.e. a recording machine)?

    Surely a better bet would be a standalone MiniDV playback deck - Sony used to make them, I'm sure......


    definitely not wanting to make more tapes, but advice I read elsewhere suggested that buying a cheap second hand one just for the purposes of transfer was a hell of a lot cheaoer than buying a playback deck (they quoted £700 - £1000):eek: maybe I'll have a look at the player.......
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    :love:
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • newmee
    newmee Posts: 397
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    doverswot wrote: »
    Newme

    Finding a cheap mini DV camcorder on Ebay sounds like the best bet. The ones I've previously used require a firewire connection to transfer the information digitally to your PC. You may need to additionally buy a firewire connection for your PC as this doesn't come as standard. Once connected to your PC you can use the free MIcrosoft movie maker to copy the video.

    Other names used for a Firewire port is DV out and iLink.

    Good luck


    fantastic advice, thank you so much :A
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    :love:
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.