Dear X-Factor Contestants, you cannot give more than 100% effort! Blog Discussion

Comments

• That annoys me too but my current bugbear is when couples say THEY are pregnant. That drives me crackers - men cannot BE pregnant - just you listen, it's creeping into every hospital show on tv.

Arnie schwartzybaby did in "Junior" so it must be true !! :rotfl:

One of my work-colleagues recently gave birth to a baby girl and when it was announced on a notice board it read :

"baby X born, Mum and Baby fine, Dad is Knackered"

As a bloke, I found this amusing as the fathers tend to get forgotten (yes I know their job was easy, and enjoyable !!!)
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • It might seem a bit late in the day to be talking about the World Cup but the words of Mr Eriksson haven’t left me. He was responding to questions about whether Wayne Rooney would get to play and lead his country to World Cup glory,

“I’ve been saying for one month that I’m sure he will take part in the World Cup. He is 300 per cent – even more - confident that he will play.”

The Daily Telegraph Sport, 7th June, 2006

Now steady on their Sven. 300%? Are you sure about that? Did Wayne really say that? I’m interested in the ‘even more’ bit as well Sven. How much more? 1% more, maybe 20% more? Wayne is a self-assured lad isn’t he so he might be 1000% sure. Of course Wayne was right and he did play but only for a bit because he was then sent off for inappropriate use of his metatarsal. This was just as well really because he wasn’t 100% fit.

But wait. It’s not just footballers who kick percentages around, politicians can dribble with them too. Take the Prime Minister, for example. Mr Blair defended the east London raid on a house in Forest Gate in June saying that he backed the police and MI5 ‘101 per cent’. Is that all Prime Minister? Now, this isn’t very much compared to Wayne’s assertion is it? 101% doesn’t seem to be very much at all.

You can see where I’m going with this. I hope that school reports have been checked and double checked for comments relating to effort. Here’s one I wrote earlier,

Emma is gaining in confidence and attempting different problems using a wider range of strategies. Although not always accurate, Emma is beginning to work through her misconceptions independently and verbalise her thought processes with more confidence. She always gives 110%.

Of course giving a 110 percent is impossible. 100% represents the ceiling of effort and anyway no one should give 100 percent as this would equate to complete burnout and ultimately death. It’s probably far better to give in the region of 60 – 80%. I’d love to know how many children have been told to try 110% on sports day. It’s a frightening thought. Let’s set things straight: 100% represents the whole unit or whole set of objects.

Few footballing clichés are as worn-out and ubiquitous as the good old ‘I'll give it 110 percent’, so well done to Mr Gordon Strachan, manager of Celtic for talking a wee bit of sense into the world of football and possibly beyond,

“People talk about giving 110 percent but you can't do that. That's a nonsense. Where did that all come from? You can only give 100 percent.”

Ask someone how hard they try. If they say anything more than 100% just check for a pulse. I’ll be happy to give a lot less. 64% works pretty well for me.
  • Giving 110%

It might seem a bit late in the day to be talking about the World Cup but the words of Mr Eriksson haven’t left me. He was responding to questions about whether Wayne Rooney would get to play and lead his country to World Cup glory,

“I’ve been saying for one month that I’m sure he will take part in the World Cup. He is 300 per cent – even more - confident that he will play.”

The Daily Telegraph Sport, 7th June, 2006

Now steady on their Sven. 300%? Are you sure about that? Did Wayne really say that? I’m interested in the ‘even more’ bit as well Sven. How much more? 1% more, maybe 20% more? Wayne is a self-assured lad isn’t he so he might be 1000% sure. Of course Wayne was right and he did play but only for a bit because he was then sent off for inappropriate use of his metatarsal. This was just as well really because he wasn’t 100% fit.

But wait. It’s not just footballers who kick percentages around, politicians can dribble with them too. Take the Prime Minister, for example. Mr Blair defended the east London raid on a house in Forest Gate in June saying that he backed the police and MI5 ‘101 per cent’. Is that all Prime Minister? Now, this isn’t very much compared to Wayne’s assertion is it? 101% doesn’t seem to be very much at all.

You can see where I’m going with this. I hope that school reports have been checked and double checked for comments relating to effort. Here’s one I wrote earlier,

Emma is gaining in confidence and attempting different problems using a wider range of strategies. Although not always accurate, Emma is beginning to work through her misconceptions independently and verbalise her thought processes with more confidence. She always gives 110%.

Of course giving a 110 percent is impossible. 100% represents the ceiling of effort and anyway no one should give 100 percent as this would equate to complete burnout and ultimately death. It’s probably far better to give in the region of 60 – 80%. I’d love to know how many children have been told to try 110% on sports day. It’s a frightening thought. Let’s set things straight: 100% represents the whole unit or whole set of objects.

Few footballing clichés are as worn-out and ubiquitous as the good old ‘I'll give it 110 percent’, so well done to Mr Gordon Strachan, manager of Celtic for talking a wee bit of sense into the world of football and possibly beyond,

“People talk about giving 110 percent but you can't do that. That's a nonsense. Where did that all come from? You can only give 100 percent.”

Ask someone how hard they try. If they say anything more than 100% just check for a pulse. I’ll be happy to give a lot less. 64% works pretty well for me.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ang on? How come if you dont like music your watching X factor?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had an unrelenting Maths teaching who crammed algebra and fractions and percentages down our throats ,but I am so thankful for that.I am constantly amazed how few people can work out a simple percentage by moving the decimal point,even working out 10% seems beyond most.Sob-where oh where did it all go wrong.
  • darbooka
    darbooka Posts: 489 Forumite
    Speaking of teachers, and regarding the premise that "you cannot give more than 100% effort", in some circumstances it's not even possible to attain 100%. Before Uni I wrote a final essay for a History class which was indisputedly a gem, perhaps even of publication quality. To my distress the teacher returned it with a mark of 99%. As I flipped through the pages there were no comments, remarks or corrections to be found. Initially I became furious as to why was my hard work was not recognized for its indisputed perfection? Eventually I found the purported answer. At the bottom of the very last page, the teacher had remarked in red ink: "Only G-d get's a 100%".
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Lol, my hubby's always on about that, it really irritates him.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • OddB
    OddB Posts: 12 Forumite
    A googol may well be 1 followed by 100 noughts but a googolplex is 1 followed by a googol of noughts ( which is a lot of noughts ).
    So I'm giving 110% effort correcting Gibster who corrected Martin who is correcting everyone who overdoes their percentages.
    Which includes me so this could go on for ever.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nelly wrote:
    Ang on? How come if you dont like music your watching X factor?
    Who watches X factor for the music? Don't we all watch it to see if Sharon's had one too many, to see Kate kissing and grabbing the hand of anyone that comes within two feet of her and if the judges are going to chuck water over each other? Minus 50% for that comment Nelly. ;)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • it should be obvious that simon has no understanding of a hundred he only deals in millons
    £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport