Moving a boiler

Our boiler is rubbish and really does need replacing as soon as possible.

The problem is we were planning to do an extension at the side of the house.
Basically extend the house out from the wall the boiler is currently situated.

We don't really want to shell out for a new boiler then do the extension in a few years and have to redo the boiler again.

My question is, if we have a new boiler fitted now.
Is is easy to move it in a few years when we get the extension done??

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• m4rky wrote:
    My question is, if we have a new boiler fitted now.
    Is is easy to move it in a few years when we get the extension done??

Depends where you're moving it to. You may have to move or install a new supply pipe. You may have to add/extend all the plumbing, so that the pipes reach the new position of the boiler. It's not a lot different to installing a new boiler - you just avoid the cost of purchasing the boiler, but you will still have the installation and commissioning costs.

You may well need a flue extension to go through the cavity wall of the new extension. If spare parts are still available when you move the boiler, this will be no problem. If they're not, then you'll be stuffed - unless you buy the flue extension now and put it away until you need it.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • m4rky
    m4rky Posts: 181 Forumite
    Hmmm... Your confiming what I thought.

Our extension plan is to build the whole left side of the house out by 4 metres.
    The current wall (which will be removed) on the left side house the wall mounted boiler in the kitchen towards the back.
    The Gas Meter is on the front wall (this wall is staying) of the house.

So we may get away with not moving the Gas Supply?
    Just another boiler installation cost.

If only the current boiler would last a few more years!!!
  • We're finally reaching the end of having our extension done, which included moving our pretty new (3yrs old) boiler upstairs. Apparently it now "doesn't work" and we are being asked to buy a new one or opt for the uncharted waters of a speculative service.

Would it be normal for moving a boiler from downstairs to upstairs to result in it not working any more??
  • hbe17 wrote:
    We're finally reaching the end of having our extension done, which included moving our pretty new (3yrs old) boiler upstairs. Apparently it now "doesn't work" and we are being asked to buy a new one or opt for the uncharted waters of a speculative service.

Would it be normal for moving a boiler from downstairs to upstairs to result in it not working any more??

Sounds dubious, but I can think of one possibility - if the boiler is going into a room, you need a "room sealed" boiler, rather than one with a flue that vents outside.

You really should ask why it "won't work" or won't be suitable and post back here with details.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Well, bit strange that, if it worked ok on the day b4 it was moved it should work now unless it has vertigo, only issue u can get moving upstairs is with air in the system if its higher than the radiators make sure the flow and return pipes have airbleeds fitted at the highest point. Also does your installer know that even a boiler thats been moved in the same house needs registering with CORGI under the notification scheme?
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • Apologies just reading this questions and I have one of my own. I have recently moved into the house that Jack built (or at least DIYd). British Gas have just done a first check on my boiler and have advised me to check with Corgi whether the installer registered the boiler with them. I think this is because I was told it was a new boiler and had a certificate but what I hadn't realised is that the certificate was supplied by a company who checked the boiler for Landlord purposes, although the owner was actually living in the property. However he advised I try and find the installer as there are a couple of problems which he feels the original installer should deal with as he thinks it was a DIY job!! Forgot to ask if there is any way I can check whether the boiler is registered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure