Lovely suprise in the post.. but small dillema..

Comments

• irishjohn wrote:
    DO YOU NEED A TREAT?

DO YOU WANT A TREAT?

CAN YOU AFFORD A TREAT?

For each question answered yes spend one third of the rebate!

I don't agree!

When someone has been sticking very very closely to a debt management programme and has done really well, a small treat with a windfall can help to keep you on the straight and narrow. It can help to just go out and have a wonderful time, a weekend away, or whatever, otherwise life can just seem too hard and too monotonous to cope with.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think 90% towards the debt and the remaining £15 or so on a treat, but stretch the cash as far as you can - buy something on Ebay or get a nice takeaway where you can use the leftovers the following day and thus keep down the cost. If even the thought of that gives you a twinge of guilt, tho, perhaps it might be better to put the whole lot on the debt. Speaking for myself I have had stretches where I've spent every spare penny on the debt and other points where I bought the occasional chocolate pudding or whatever (marked down if possible). It's good to treat yourself occasionally, as long as you keep the cost low. It can be a very hard grind if you don't...
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • If it was me I'd buy a small treat and put the rest towards debt. You will feel so much better for having used the money wisely while at the same time you'll have had a little reward which is good for motivation I find!
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • I don't agree!

When someone has been sticking very very closely to a debt management programme and has done really well, a small treat with a windfall can help to keep you on the straight and narrow. It can help to just go out and have a wonderful time, a weekend away, or whatever, otherwise life can just seem too hard and too monotonous to cope with.

Well, according to Irishjohn's suggestion she can then spend a third of the rebate on a treat! She "wants" a treat therefore she can tick the second question :D
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • I think the only other problem is that if I tell DH I'm considering treating myself, he'll get all het up because there's a game HE wants which he's been bugging me about non stop... so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.
    I'm kind of used to DH getting what he wants and me going without so going to prevent that by just lumping it straight into debt savings.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.
    I'm kind of used to DH getting what he wants and me going without so going to prevent that by just lumping it straight into debt savings.

Awww hun :A

I think you know this is the right decision - good on you!

Think of all the nice things you'll be able to get that bit sooner by being disciplined about your debts.....you're doing really well :)

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think its a good idea to spend on debt- it will be worth it, its true

And also Xmas is round the corner isnt it, youll get some treats then Angel Im sure of it :A
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think the only other problem is that if I tell DH I'm considering treating myself, he'll get all het up because there's a game HE wants which he's been bugging me about non stop... so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.

perhaps the solution is to swap blokes with Imelda?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=309008
    sending haagen dazs & pizza is what you want ...
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    pay off debt

when u are debt free you can have more treats...and not fee guilty

the guilt would ruin the treat anyway i know ive been there are done it

but didnt even get a free t shirt!!!
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I'm ashamed to say I'm in the minority here. I've got a windfall coming too - a nice amount but a drop in the ocean where my debts are concerned.
    Me and my 21 yr old daughter have been suffering all year from lack of money - I literally don't have any underwear without holes and my top wear is more than a bit shabby too - so I want some clothes that I'm not ashamed to get run over in! And my daughter, well for a young girl to be unable to do any shopping or partying for so long has been torture, (she gives all hermoney to me to help with the debts) so she deserves a treat too.
    I'm not talking about spending like mad, but I am talking about spending enough to give us a lift and make it easier to face the next 300 years or so of poverty.
    I didn't feel ashamed about any of this before believing we "deserve" it, now I feel rather poo :(.
    But for the first poster I say - you deserve a treat go for it!
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure