Not eligible for seller protection

Options
Can anyone help me out or explain this to me.

I have sold an item on ebay and the buyer has sent a paypal payment to me but when i log into my paypal account the money is there ok but it states that i am not eligible for seller protection.

Does this mean i shouldnt send the yet ? Is there a problem with the payment ? Does this sound ok?

The item i have sold is over £60 so im dubious about sending the item before i find out the answer to this question so all opinions are welcome . Thanks
The loopy one has gone :j

Comments

• Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    Have they paid via echeque? As it will show not eligable until that is cleared and you shouldnt send until it has.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It could mean because they have not confirmed their address. If you send it recorded or special delivery to the address shown in Paypal then you should be covered against an 'item not received' claim anyway.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Wae'aye man the wee Scot MP has advised you anon !;):rotfl:
  • no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    In paypal its telling me to go ahead and post the item....however I am still concerned that I am not eligible for seller protection? Never had this before and im just wondering why the item isnt covered.

If the item is exactly as described - which it IS and the item is sent recorded delivery - which it WILL be...what other problems could arise ? In what other situation could paypal refund the buyer leaving me out of pocket?
  • nellytheelephant
    Options
    I'd send it special delivery instead of recorded, just to make sure you've got enough insurance if it goes missing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »

The link though merely confirms that the seller would be ineligible for paypal protection and would need to see what the buyer looks like to decide whether to go for it or not. However the pink does contradict themselves in that this is referred to as a 'glitch' which means that paypal must be aware there is an error in their system.

I'd phone paypal, get the exact name of the person you speak to and ask them specifically whether you would be covered if sending. It might not help as they do still tell fibs to get you off the phone, but follow up your conversation with an email via the paypal system saying something like 'after speaking to your CS rep Adam Smith, I have now sent the item tracked to the address given by paypal as I was assured I would be covered for all claims '. Then at least if it does get nasty you can throw that back at them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sazzarella
    Sazzarella Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also as the item is over £41 you should be sending by special delivery to get the correct level of insurance.
    Married 30/08/14 :heartpuls
  • no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    On looking at the buyers feedback it now appears as though this person must be buying the item to sell on again...

Mine will be the fifth identical item this buyer has bought over the past few weeks.

Im confused as to the unconfirmed address as I always just assumed that ebay/paypal confirmed addresses by the bank account details.

Think I will do as Soolin advises and give paypal a ring.
    Thanks to everyone who posted advice , its appreciated.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On looking at the buyers feedback it now appears as though this person must be buying the item to sell on again...

Mine will be the fifth identical item this buyer has bought over the past few weeks.

Im confused as to the unconfirmed address as I always just assumed that ebay/paypal confirmed addresses by the bank account details.

Think I will do as Soolin advises and give paypal a ring.
    Thanks to everyone who posted advice , its appreciated.

They gave up with confirmed addresses a few years back, my one, registered with paypal for 10+ years almost always shows as unconfirmed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure