Sky instalation and options

Options
Hi I've been given a sky plus box,no dish,how much would sky charge for a dish/installation,I only want a basic package ie freeview,on it no movies sport etc,I wouldn't mind broad band but don't know how to go about this

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Sky won't install it as it's not supplied by them.You'll have to go to an independent & there you're looking at around £100+ depending on the job.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't receive Freeview through a Sky dish, it's a terrestial service via an aerial. Using a Sky box you can receive the Sky FTA channels (Freesat from Sky) without the need for a subscription.
    Broadband is nothing to do with your TV service, it is delivered either via ADSL over a BT phone line, or via cable if you are in a VM cable area.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Sky won't install it as it's not supplied by them.You'll have to go to an independent & there you're looking at around £100+ depending on the job.
    Remember too that the Sky+ recording/playback functionality will not work unless you take out a Sky subscription (minimum £10.25/month) and, without that, the box will just be a (free channels) satellite receiver.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Remember too that the Sky+ recording/playback functionality will not work unless you take out a Sky subscription (minimum £10.25/month) and, without that, the box will just be a (free channels) satellite receiver.
    Well spotted Batman!;)
  • vburns85
    vburns85 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »

as Heinz says about the minimum £10.25/month is all you can get from sky, if you decide that you want to go down this road then they will charge £30 installation, even if you have the equipment they still want to get an engineer out to install it all properly, I have a dish here and said to them that I got a mate that has an old sky box (I say old it was a refurbished sky+ thompson box) which i can get for free and the previous tenants at the address I reside at already had dish her (cable's still sticking through wall and connected to dish) and was told that it would be £30 install still (although I got free install as I am taking movies pack 1 for 1 month as suggested by the bloke on the phone then just phone up after 30 days and cancel it saving me £22)

hope you come to a decision soon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport