Virgin Media 50 Mb

Options
Hello ,

I have done numerous speed tests through speedtest.net and my internet connection is soooooo slow.

I pay £35.00 a month for 50mb which got installed on Friday just gone. Since then the engineer came back today to test my signal strength and download speed. He amended my signal and then logged into his own Virgin speed test account and shown me it was 49mb? He used the excuse that all speedtest websites are slow cause everybody uses them. I thought that cause he logged into the Virgin employees speedtest it was a fix?

He gave me an "N" network dongle although i cannot get more than 6Mb wireless :o( its really annoying me.....

Please advise? Is it worth me downgrading my speed ?

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Not all the speedtest.net servers have gigabit connections which is what is needed to test more than one VM 50Mbps connection at the same time.

Try - http://namesco.speedtest.net/index.php which should give you the Namesco London server as default and that usually shows 50Mbps for me...

1178229944.png

With an install last week you obviously have the Superhub which has a known issue with older Atheros wifi drivers - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-FAQ-Updated-25-02-11/td-p/247111 - you'll find in there that the recommendation is to update your drivers if it is Atheros.

You should also turn off IP flood detection in the Advanced settings / Services menu

Should you downgrade? That's up to you as it's very unlikely that you actually need 50Mbps - I know I don't but as I have the phone too I only pay £25 for it so considered that I may as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure