private listing - tool to see final price?

Options
We are looking at buying an expensive item from an EBay seller on auction. However, his lists are always set to private - so unless i sit and watch every auction, i do not know what the item usually sells for (i don't want to go mental and pay way over what he may have sold it for previously!)

Is there a online tool that allows you to see final prices of auctions?

Ta!

Comments

• wearethedogs
    Options
    Completed listing function on ebay. Do a search, then at the right of the page click completed listings.
  • arriva
    arriva Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    or bookmark the individual listings in your browser then once finished go and have a look.
    *_*_* Department of Redundancy Department *_*_*
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Completed listing function on ebay. Do a search, then at the right of the page click completed listings.

tried this and although it is exactly what i wanted to do - it only lists the last 15 days :(. Anything that that does the same but with a longer histoty?

Ta!
  • GregtheHammer
    Options
    Goofbay will do the job.
  • porto_bello
    Options
    Personally, I avoid sellers who utilise private listings to hide sale prices, bidder identities and bid correlation statististics from buyers.

I would certainly avoid buying an expensive item on a private listing - are there no alternative sellers offering transparency?
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I avoid sellers who utilise private listings to hide sale prices, bidder identities and bid correlation statististics from buyers.

I would certainly avoid buying an expensive item on a private listing - are there no alternative sellers offering transparency?
    Totally agree. It always makes me wonder what they are hiding.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • hatewashingmachines
    Options
    I list my auctions as Private and I only do it for one reason... I have lots of nosey neighbours, friends and relatives who love to look at what I've sold and how much I got for it. Listing something as Private stops them having a good snoop through my life lol!!!
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
  • porto_bello
    porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2011 at 12:52PM
    Options
    I list my auctions as Private and I only do it for one reason... I have lots of nosey neighbours, friends and relatives who love to look at what I've sold and how much I got for it. Listing something as Private stops them having a good snoop through my life lol!!!
    Usually sellers using private listings use the argument that it's not in the buyer's interest to discover that it's the seller who is using a mysterious ID to bid on their own items, up to just beneath the winning bid! :rotfl:
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • hatewashingmachines
    Options
    Thats shill bidding and I had a friend who stupidly did that.... got her husband to bid on something but eBay find out, they check your IP address etc so not worth doing. But the PRIVATE listing does stop people noseying. For example I am selling my mum and dads whole estate as they sadly passed away in the same yr.... there are plenty of relatives and friends who would love to snoop at how much I have got for things. Another reason for use of private auctions is to stop people seeing how much your other item went for, very useful if you are selling lots of the same item as this can lower the selling price, people look see how much it sold for and then bid around that price, where they may of bid a higher price if they hadn't seen the other SOLD for amounts!! (Not everyone realises you can do a search and then choose completed items) :D
    So don't be fooled into thinking its just for people to hide the ID's so they can bid on their own..... there are also some very valid reasons!!
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
  • tiny_tear
    Options
    Another reason for use of private auctions is to stop people seeing how much your other item went for, very useful if you are selling lots of the same item as this can lower the selling price, people look see how much it sold for and then bid around that price, where they may of bid a higher price if they hadn't seen the other SOLD for amounts!!

which seems to be what the OP wants to do...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure