Your winter bill...

Options
I dont know about anyone else but my winter bill was far more than i was expecting.

just wanted to compare with everyone else:

I was billed £450 for gas and electricity on NPOWER, 3 bed house, 2 residents, both work so not in all day with the heating on.

Breakdown was gas approx 300, elec approx 150

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by winter? How long? Not very complete data.

Assuming three months £100 gas bill per month seems pretty reasonable. National average on a good year with the cheapest tariff would be £50 per month (averaged over whole year) so paying only double this for a winter month of an extremely cold winter looks like peanuts.

I don't understand why you think this was not expected.

(£50 per month for electricity is, however, substantial).
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    3 bed semi, 2 residents retired in all day, turned down to 15 at bedtime 21 during the day - £104 electric and £154 gas! (actual readings).

There was a debate on here before Xmas about 'should I leave my heating on all the time', the theory that if you do, it will use more gas was one that I subscribed to.

However, being in a situation where there was no alternative but to keep the power on (and that we can afford it), we are more than delighted with the bill (14/02/2011) from EDF and now are of the mind that once the fabric of the building has warmed, the boiler is working less to keep it 'topped up'.

!2 year old house, conservatory to the rear (stopping droughts to the back door and windows) 10" loft insulation, blinds + heavy curtains at all windows - condensing boiler, Lancashire.
  • space_rider
    Options
    saphydog wrote: »
    I dont know about anyone else but my winter bill was far more than i was expecting.

just wanted to compare with everyone else:

I was billed £450 for gas and electricity on NPOWER, 3 bed house, 2 residents, both work so not in all day with the heating on.

Breakdown was gas approx 300, elec approx 150

£101 elec £305 gas. 3 bedroom house 5 year old house but with 14 radiators as 3 storey. 3 days a week heating on from 5-11 and 4 days on all day. About what I expected due to the price of heating bills. Generally stat at 21 on non working day though I do turn it down to 18 when we go out. When it was very cold heating was set to come on much earlier and went off later. Last winter bill was a similar amount but house was occupied more and unfortunately this winter it was much colder so the savings I expected to make didn`t happen.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    pstuart wrote: »
    There was a debate on here before Xmas about 'should I leave my heating on all the time', the theory that if you do, it will use more gas was one that I subscribed to.

Just a little point - the views that leaving heating on 24/7 uses more heat than letting the house cool when you're not there, then re-heating, is not a 'theory'. If follows directly from thermodynamic laws.

There is a difference of acceptance of the truth of a scientific theory and a scientific law. Laws are pretty unassailable, whereas theories can be challenged (by physicists at the peak of their profession).

If you think keeping your house warm all the requires less heat than letting it cool then re-warm it, then you are arguing that scientific laws are being breached.

If you are correct, then of course there's a Nobel physics prize waiting for you (get in touch with 'Nature' for publication of your findings), but I doubt you are.

Your bills are very cheap considering the cold weather the presumably 3 monthly amount covers. But they would have been cheaper still had you heated less. (Of course, it may not have been as comfortable, but that's a different matter altogether).
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be fair, this winter tends to be exaggerated due to the very cold spell (5 weeks over mid November to mid-late December). Apart from that, Jan was pretty average and Feb was reasonably mild in parts.
  • mummyroysof3
    Options
    i was suprised how low our bill was and am regreating all the worrying i did lol
    we were £107 in credit payed £60 and are £35 still in credit, electric is another story though as dispite putting my payments up we owe more than we did argh
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Well graham, there's theory and there's practice - like I said, agreed with the theory but!!!!!!
  • GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

My dual fuel bill from August-February was £290. After a deduction of £105 dual fuel discount, I'm £98 in credit which is being repaid in about a week. I'm really pleased as my monthly direct debit has been reduced from £54 to £51. (Really glad I paid £54 instead of npower's recommended £40).

One thing I've learned on here is- read your meters regularly, put the details in here: http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/smart_meter_calculator/ If your usage is more than your direct debit, you need to increase your direct debit.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• Josie64
    Josie64 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    E-on gas bill - November - Feb £95.42 - and I gave a meter reading
    two bed terraced, two people
    southern electric gas bill was £125 nov to feb, 3 bed end of terrace house with no cavity walls and im still £277 in credit :) wish i had used it a bit more now
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure