car puncture repair -best place best price

Options

Comments

• JustinR1979
    Options
    I do my own with a kit I bought off ebay for less than a fiver.
    Same as the garage uses that I've been going to for years.
    Paid for itself first time I used it.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

If that's the kit I'm thinking of with strips that you poke through the tyre with a thing like a crochet hook then I don't have much confidence in them for anything other than a town run-about.

I would treat that as a temporary 'get you to a tyre repair workshop' only.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    If that's the kit I'm thinking of with strips that you poke through the tyre with a thing like a crochet hook then I don't have much confidence in them for anything other than a town run-about.

I understand what you're saying. Can't argue that they're as good as the plug type, but for me are good enough.
    Seeing inside the tyre, you can see how they work so well. Air is constantly pushing them in/against the hole. As it's replacing a tiny hole, worst I can see happening is a slow puncture, as it was before fitment. For a typical puncture the hole is so small it can take days to lose much pressure, so is almost sealed under it's own pressure, doesn't take much to seal it.
    As a temp repair I've glued a piece of card over the hole lol.

Who knows :)
  • Iceweasel
    edited 16 September 2014 at 6:49PM
    Options
    This temporary repair kit gets good reports and can be run for several days (perhaps more) before a proper repair is convenient.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/breakdown-emergency/breakdown-kits/plug-go-7-piece-tyre-repair-plug-kit

Good if your out in the sticks or a remote part of Northern Scotland for example, where tyre repairers are not exactly thick on the ground - or open at weekends.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    That looks quite substantial.
    This kit I referred to, have had them last years, and garage has used them for 15 years to my knowledge.

But you take your choices as to what you're comfortable using :)
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options

bod1467 wrote: »
    http://tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm ... MINI TIRE REPAIR KIT (Part No. 11007)

That's what I have (and use). My current car (VW Golf) which I got a year ago ... I had it two weeks and I got a puncture in the front offside tyre. I just repaired it myself and that tyre is still going strong. :)

I've also used it to repair other people's tyres when they've been stranded, and also motorcycle tyres. :)

And I'm STILL running that same tyre. Done trips from Glasgow to Aberdeen, Glasgow to Manchester etc. and all is OK.

The kit I linked is fine for pretty much all repairs, as long as it is within the tread width.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    This temporary repair kit gets good reports and can be run for several days (perhaps more) before a proper repair is convenient.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/breakdown-emergency/breakdown-kits/plug-go-7-piece-tyre-repair-plug-kit

Good if your out in the sticks or a remote part of Northern Scotland for example, where tyre repairers are not exactly thick on the ground - or open at weekends.

I'd much rather use the"strings" repair method - I don't think I'd trust those screw-in type plugs.
  • Iceweasel
    Options
    Both the string & crochet hook and the screw in plastic plugs are marketed as temporary repairs.

They do not meet with BS AU 159 which requires the tyre to be removed from the rim, inspected, and if repairable, a repair plug pulled through the puncture hole from the inside.

You can buy these approved plugs cheaply on eBay but I don't think many of us have the equipment to dismount the tyre and fit it from the inside. LOL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-REMA-TIP-TOP-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-WIRED-6MM-PLUG-PATCHES-AND-TIP-TOP-GLUE-/131191949671?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item1e8ba64967

Of course who is to know if you have made a temporary repair?

It wouldn't be a MOT fail - possible advisory perhaps?

And there is no ruling on how long 'temporary' is.
  • SerialRenter
    Options
    Got a small nail in one of the tyres so i figured i'd phone around and get a few quotes.

ATS Euromaster quoted £21
    Merityre quoted £22

I'm sure i can get a better deal than this so i'll ring around a few non chain places tomorrow.

Any tips on what sort of price i can expect?
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    £13 I used to pay, so bought a kit for a fiver off ebay, is same thing.

Puncture repairs is their biggest risk, so not cheap. Those prices are typical for tyre off and plug fitted, unless you know a reasonable one man band type place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure