Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

what luxuries have you cut - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

what luxuries have you cut

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
127 replies 31.9K views

Replies

• edited 26 February 2011 at 11:01PM
    Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2011 at 11:01PM
    When I look back on my life five years ago I can't believe how I spent my wages. I have cut down on lots of things since then and learned to look for deals to make my money stretch further.
    • Like lots of people I stopped buying magazines and newspapers.
    • Cut down on the amount of hoildays/breaks I took. It used to be about 7-9 a year including long weekends and at least one 2 week holiday to the states. Now I still go away but shop around for a good deal for my summer hoilday in November (in Nov 10 I got a 2 and a half week five star holiday round the carribean and stay in Barbados saving £1600). I go on a few week long breaks round the UK staying in the Travelodge booked well in advance so £9-£19 a night).
    • Bulk buy some items with my extended family to bring the cost down - washing powder and other cleaning products.
    • I joined Cineworld Unlimited as I loved going to the cinema and didn't want to stop going. When I joined it was only £9.99 per month for as many films as you want. I still have it and love it. Over the year it costs less a pound a movie and I can go whenever I want without waiting on free tickets. I also use Orange Wednesdays for other friends/family.
    • Stopped getting takeaways and eating out all of the time. I must have ate out 3-4 times a week. Now I still eat out a few times a month but used 2-4-1's deals and have used my tesco clubcard vouchers to join Hi Life Diners which offer up to 3 courses free when the same number of courses are bout.
    • Stopped buying lunches and now take a packed lunch in most days. I used to buy lunch everyday :eek: and now I very rarely do this. In the last 4 months I have bought lunch on 2 occasions.
    • I stopped buying cans of juice at work - was 50p. No idea how much I have wasted over the years.
    • I cook from scratch now that I have my own place and love cooking for people which cuts down on dinners out as well.
    • In Oct last year I joined the no buying toilerties challange to help me use up what already have. This alone has saved me £££
    • I don't drink alcohol so this was never an issue but I have cut down on my nights out.
    I am so glad that I found this site and I am still learning...

I know that some people have had to change a lot more than this so I feel really lucky but then I am single with no children so I only need to sort myself :).
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • -wine
    -beer
    -magazines
    -take aways
    -got rid of my car (lost 2 stone in weight!)
    -premium brands (shop at lidl and buy whoopsies from co-op)
    - coffee in coffee shops

dont miss any of them, paid off the mortgage and saving up now, dont owe anyone a bean...and its a great feeling :)

:T I so would like to be able to get rid of the car, but i just cant bring myself to do it! We live in a fairly localised small town, everything could be accessible by bus, or a good lengthy walk! The only drawback is the cinema is about 3 miles away and i have an unlimited card which i cant get out of having to pay for another 8 months (believe me, if i could get out of it, i would, i only go now as I feel I have to as they take the money out of my account each month).
    Household is made up of myself, DH, and 4 teenagers. DH is all for not using the car, even suggested SORNing it until diesel goes down and income goes up, but kids seems horrified at the mere mention of not having a car, apparently ALL their friends have cars and what sort of family doesnt???!!!!
    Does anyone really think that it is possible to actually get rid of it altogether? I have to take DD to uni interviews, and DS to apprentice interviews in the next month, and just dont think it viable just by using public transport?
    :)
    ;)HappyEnough;)
  • marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    :T I so would like to be able to get rid of the car, but i just cant bring myself to do it! We live in a fairly localised small town, everything could be accessible by bus, or a good lengthy walk! The only drawback is the cinema is about 3 miles away and i have an unlimited card which i cant get out of having to pay for another 8 months (believe me, if i could get out of it, i would, i only go now as I feel I have to as they take the money out of my account each month).
    Household is made up of myself, DH, and 4 teenagers. DH is all for not using the car, even suggested SORNing it until diesel goes down and income goes up, but kids seems horrified at the mere mention of not having a car, apparently ALL their friends have cars and what sort of family doesnt???!!!!
    Does anyone really think that it is possible to actually get rid of it altogether? I have to take DD to uni interviews, and DS to apprentice interviews in the next month, and just dont think it viable just by using public transport?

I might be biased,as I have never had a car and never intend to (one less car on the planet),but the only way to find out if you can survive without a car,is to get rid of it.

Having a car is not a 'must have'.Sounds like giving it up is something that you're seriously considering....Do you use it a lot?Why is using pulbic transport not viable?You say yourself that where you live everything is accessible by bus or walking...

As for your teenage children,you can't win,can you?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Stopped buying wine - now make my own.
    Stopped buying branded bread - now make my own by hand.
    Stopped buying yoghurt - now make my own in the second hand yoghurt maker I got cheap on ebay.
    Stopped buying expensive fruit and vegetables - grow my own and eat what is in season such as raspberries in July and rhurbarb in April.
    Stopped going to the pub on Friday and Saturday nights now that we no longer live opposite the pub! Stay in with the home made wine.
    Stopped buying ready meals and now make everything from scratch making a lot of use of lentils, pulses etc. Even made my own spicy bean burgers last week using kidney beans and they tasted great. Stopped eating meat too so save lots of money and have a healthier diet as well.
    Stopped buying expensive soup and make my own - a pan full will last a few days in the fridge.
    Stopped going out for a curry - learnt to make my own from scratch - grind my own spices in a coffee grinder - saves money on the curry pastes that the supermarket sell and lots less salt too.
    Stopped buying new clothes - get lots of bargains on good brand ones from ebay.
    Stopped buying magazines - pick up the freebies in the supermarkets.
    Buy value brand shampoo, deodorant etc - they seem to work just as well as the more expensive brands.
    Eat value oats made into porridge for breakfast instead of expensive muesli.
    Make my own chutneys in the Autumn from my home grown vegetables instead of buying expensive branded pickles.
    Stopped colouring my hair and also now cut it myself.

When I look at this list, I can now see how I actually managed to save quite a bit this last year (great feeling having money put away for a rainy day or for when the car breaks down) - all down to the brilliant tips and money saving ideas I have come across on this wondeful site - thanks so much to all how have contributed to it.
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Maya* wrote: »
    Don't you have 10 kids? I don't know how you managed to get rid of that debt with all those mouths to feed, (guess there must be a decent wage coming in) but well done to you. :beer::T
    9, but close enough it sometimes feels like 90!

I am just really really miserly lol.. I refuse to have the heating on, lights on, etc.
    I bulk buy most stuff so it is really cheap.

apparently I am the one everyone calls for recommendations on where to buy stuff because I know the cheapest places.. I don't think I do.. but I always check for cashback and codes etc.

As for wages.. OH (who has worked since he was 13) has been made redundant (IT jobs have disappeared it seems) and there is nothing at all available at the moment.. he is considering retraining come September, but that costs huge amounts too, but I am encouraging him all the same, he really needs to work so I can get on with the cleaning and decorating.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    21/11/2019 £47926.72 (2.41% int.)
  • *Maya**Maya* Forumite
    317 posts
    pigpen wrote: »
    9, but close enough it sometimes feels like 90!

I am just really really miserly lol.. I refuse to have the heating on, lights on, etc.
    I bulk buy most stuff so it is really cheap.

apparently I am the one everyone calls for recommendations on where to buy stuff because I know the cheapest places.. I don't think I do.. but I always check for cashback and codes etc.

As for wages.. OH (who has worked since he was 13) has been made redundant (IT jobs have disappeared it seems) and there is nothing at all available at the moment.. he is considering retraining come September, but that costs huge amounts too, but I am encouraging him all the same, he really needs to work so I can get on with the cleaning and decorating.

Sorry. I remembered seeing you post that you were expecting so I must have counted 10 by mistake. :o It's amazing what you have achieved :Tand good luck with the new baby. Here's hoping hubby finds a job before he/she is born. :)
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread gave me pause for thought, and I guess it made me thankful, because I haven't given up the luxuries, it's just that they don't happen in the way they used to:

I like a bottle of wine, maybe once a fortnight (I found a nice one at $2.50 a bottle)
    We watch the latest DVDs and have at least one each weekend (I order them at the library)
    I take my pick of magazines (again from the library)
    I get 2 or 3 books a week, sometimes new releases from my favourite authors (you guessed it, the library)
    We like a nice takeaway (instead of spending $20 on the whole thing, we spend $3.50 on a portion of chips and I serve it with something)
    We like lunch out (picniced in the botanical gardens today)
    Next week I'll have a lovely pair of handmade pyjama pants (when I finish them, they've been made from an old bedsheet and embellished)
    Hubby and I have a haircut every few weeks (which I do myself)

We're safe, warm, dry, well fed, reasonably dressed and well entertained. What other luxuries could we want?
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Stopped buying magazines and cancelled my subscription and no newspapers either - read online
    Down shifted brands on tea bags to Sains Basics plus fruit and veg too.
    Only have a takeaway once in a blue moon and trying not to have anymore because I prefer HM. Stopped buying cakes and now bake from scratch once a week and what else? Started using my BM and stopped buying bread. Now I discovered the dough function I can stop buying the odd breadroll too!
    Always colour my hair at home now instead of the hairdressers
    One of the biggest things I cut back on was stopping buying the luxury brand ready meals and started cooking again and realised what I could make from scratch was both nicer and cheaper

Don't miss any of the things I've cut back on in fact I much prefer it this way
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • YORKSHIRELASSYORKSHIRELASS Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to get rid of the car but we live in a rural village and there is no public transport so its impossible.

I have started to make a conscious effort to use it less though, and as a result I only fill the car up 3 times a month instead of 4. With petrol prices being so high it hasnt really made much difference though.
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have cut out trips to the cinema unless it is Vue on a Saturday morning (kids am film at £1 a seat!). I am free as a carer so it only costs us £2 for all 3 of us. I generally cook a pizza before we go out and slice and wrap em in greaseproof paper to munch on as we lave the cinema (we have to walk past pizza hut and the smell is sooooo enticing! This stops me from being tempted! I also take my own drinks (refilled juice bottles!) and crisps etc so as not to buy at Vue prices!

Instead of going out for a meal, we prefer to invite some friends over for dinner. It costs less to prepare a lush meal for 7 or 8 people than go out for dinner for a family of 4!

I too get all my clothes second hand. As long as you are selective no one would ever know if I didn't occasionally brag about my bargains!

I cut the kids hair myself and am pretty good if I say so myself!

We go on Sun holidays more now to save pennies and always extend it to make the full week (usually around 60-80 quid more directly with the holiday park). Self catering is really enjoyable for us as we love cooking!

We are aiming to be more self sufficient this year with growing our own produce. My large garden is now just as I want it.
    The rear half of the garden is a woodchipped play area with all the bells and whistles but it also sports a 12x6x6 foot aviary for my hens (fresh eggs, mmm!)
    The near half of the garden is MY area with patio, lawns, fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear and plum) and hazelnut tree. I have recently (last spring) made the addition of raised bed down the right edge of the entire garden instead of Borders which we used for growing caulis, chard, lettuce, carrots, rhubarb, strawberries etc.
    This year I have squeezed an extra 3 raised beds between the 4 fruit trees to grow... Wheat!!! I saw the 'bake your lawn' website which is trying to promote this. As we home educate, I thought it would be a wonderful idea to see if we can watch the process from plot to plate ourselves at home! If we get one loaf, we will be ecstatic!
    Yesterday I prepared the boxes with leaf mould and compost made from my chicken manure. The hens had wheat that had gotten damp from the food box lid slipping down so we are going to use that for our seed!!
    Intend to grow even more this year!!!!

We bought bikes last summer (second hand via ebay!) to replace some of the more costly family days out.

Let's hope for some nice weather for picnics at the park too, etc!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40