Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

what luxuries have you cut - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

what luxuries have you cut

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
127 replies 31.9K views

Replies

• Pink_GiraffePink_Giraffe Forumite
    186 posts
    JenniO wrote: »
    Don't do indian or chinese takeaways anymore coz of the price - once in a blue moon OH and I will get a parmo and chips (Kezlou will know what I'm talking about! :o) and that's £5.50 and does OH and me for tea and one of us the following day for lunch.

Ooh parmo, yum! Sometimes I really miss living up north!

I stopped smoking at the beginning of last July and according to my stop smoking calculator I have saved about £650 (this scared me a LOT!)

I used to drink a lot of diet coke (the branded one as I never liked own brands - only for cola though, I think it's psychological) and I gave that up as my new year's resolution - now I drink tap water or Aldi lemonade which is about £1.40 less per 2l bottle and have a can of lemonade from a multipack per day at work (rather than 2 500ml bottles which is disgusting I know), the rest of the time I drink water or fruit tea. Dread to think how much I had wasted on this over the years!

The last few months I have pretty much given up shopping - I am on a mission to use what I have before I buy more stuff, so paid an extra £50 each month on credit cards.

All in all a lot of savings and I don't miss anything!
  • modern_millie_2modern_millie_2 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    278 posts
    Wine - down to 1 bottle a month
    Restaurant meals, except for special occasions
    Ready meals
    OHs haircuts (I do it for him:D)
    Holidays abroad
    Full price clothing for me - al l charity shop or at least 50% off
    New furniture, carpets etc.

Things that have increased/added - second car for 2 years only while DD is in college - we are not on the bus route - and coffee out- relatively small spend but still feels like a luxury.

Most of this does'nt bother me, but I struggle with winters and would love to be able to spend a couple of weeks somewhere sunny.
    1. only had 1 holiday abroad in the last five years and that one i only had to pay for the flights and the dog to go in the kennels as stayed with a friend.
    2. I dont buy magazines or newspapers now but read them online.
    3. i stopped paying my world of warcraft subscription and found a free substitute online
    4. i dont go out except once in a blue moon now. Most trips out are to mates in similar situations for hm cakes and plenty of cups of tea.
    5. havent been to a concert in ages try to listen to them online where i can.
    6. i dont do take aways anymore this used to be 3 or 4 times a week 5 years ago.
    7. i buy my clothes and shoes from charity shops now wouldnt have stepped in one unless donating 5 years ago.
    8. 90% of the sm bill is now from the "value" ranges where as before would have been the top end.
    9. I dont think i have actually bought a CD or DVD in the space of 5 years except for a gift for someone else :eek: :AThere is still life theres always youtube or the radio:A
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • Very interesting to see quite a few people have got rid of their cars. Are you managing ok without? I have never had a car and go pretty much everywhere by bike or train/plane for longer distance. I'm in London so it's pretty easy for me. So many people seem to think they can't manage without a car...
  • I haven't bought a magazine in years, not to save money so much but because they all print the same stories and i read them all on line anyway. I buy things when on offer and as a result could eat out of my freezer for a month probably.

I used to love fresh veg but now buy frozen which is way way cheaper and doesn't go off either!

I do ned my car to get to work as i am not on a bus route but i swapped to a diesel last year and its saved me a fortune with the cosy of diesel at £1.33!!
    Trying to save money and always open to ideas and expecting our first child in March 2015.
  • girlybagsgirlybags Forumite
    475 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Very interesting to see quite a few people have got rid of their cars. Are you managing ok without? I have never had a car and go pretty much everywhere by bike or train/plane for longer distance. I'm in London so it's pretty easy for me. So many people seem to think they can't manage without a car...

I absolutely dreaded getting rid of my car but can honestly say I've not missed it at all! My son is a lot less lazy now, before when we went out of the front door he would go straight to the car and would have a major tant if we were walking :( I have to admit that it made me really lazy as well, I'd drive to my mums which is about a 15 min walk away and now I'll walk 2 miles to the supermarket (even though there are a couple a lot nearer) without even thinking about it. I dread to think of all the money I've wasted running a car unnecessarily :mad:
    Never say never
  • Pink_GiraffePink_Giraffe Forumite
    186 posts
    Very interesting to see quite a few people have got rid of their cars. Are you managing ok without? I have never had a car and go pretty much everywhere by bike or train/plane for longer distance. I'm in London so it's pretty easy for me. So many people seem to think they can't manage without a car...

I have never had a car either, I walk most places or get the bus, coach or train for longer distances (bikes and I do not get on!) We are getting a car later this year (my mum had a windfall recently and has very generously offered to get one for us and pay expenses except petrol until we have a bit more money). I don't plan to stop walking however OH will use it for work as it will work out cheaper than his bus pass, and I'll use it for trips to see my mum as the train is extortionate! But if this opportunity hadn't arisen I would be happy to continue without one.
  • suzybloosuzybloo Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello folks, over the past few years we have stopped going out for meals as often, we used to go out about twice a month, that is now once every three months or so, we stopped getting the paper delivered as it was costing as much to get it delivered as the paper itself. I now measure the washing powder/conditioner whereas before I used to just throw it in. We no longer go abroad for holidays either, caravan this year in the Scottish borders - right back what to we used to do when the kids were small and times were hard. There are many other things that we have cut down on in general terms that are not luxuries but everyday living expenses/necessities.
    Every days a School day!
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing.. I have always been on the bones of my bum and scrimped and saved where I could.. Though, I have managed to pay off a huge amount of debt (siggy strip should now read £1300 outstanding!!)

I have added a mortgage a bank loan a car and a baby and I am STILL better off.. such was my financial state 5 years ago..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    21/11/2019 £47926.72 (2.41% int.)
  • edited 26 February 2011 at 9:56PM
    *Maya**Maya* Forumite
    317 posts
    edited 26 February 2011 at 9:56PM
    pigpen wrote: »
    Nothing.. I have always been on the bones of my bum and scrimped and saved where I could.. Though, I have managed to pay off a huge amount of debt (siggy strip should now read £1300 outstanding!!)

I have added a mortgage a bank loan a car and a baby and I am STILL better off.. such was my financial state 5 years ago..

Don't you have 10 kids? I don't know how you managed to get rid of that debt with all those mouths to feed, (guess there must be a decent wage coming in) but well done to you. :beer::T
    :)