PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lasagna - daft questions...

Options
2»

Comments

• JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    I think a lot of it is personal choice. I make my bolognaise mix quite un-sloppy as thats how OH prefers his lasagne.
    I use Asda smart price lasagne and whack it straight in the dish, I never knwe you needed to wet it so I don't!

My Mum always told me to make lasagne like this:
    meat-sauce-lasagne-sauce-
    meat-sauce-lasagbe-sauce
    so this is how I make it. OH says there should be lasagne on the bottom to help it stay together but I thinki this will just make the bottom sheet stick to the dish. Plus it will cost more.
    I only put white sauce n between the layers but thatsw cos I am permanently trying to lose weight! I add the cheese to the top though.
    I think I cook it for about 40 mins at 160 or so but the top is always mega done (ie burnt - well dark anyway) so maybe it should be cooler for longer ?
    And I don't cover the tray with foil.
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I layer mine the way Jill does (and with bottom sheets) and, on purpose, make the sauce slightly sloppy. The lasagna sheets take up a fair amount of liquid so the result is fine, not quite sliceable like a loaf but not falling about all over the place either. I've never had the bottom sheet stick.

I once went to a proper Italian restaurant and ordered my first ever lasagna and it came in a dish and was more like a soup with big bits in! I asked the waitress to check that I had actually been given the right order. It was. :(

It turns out that the northern Italians preferred their lasagna sloppy and it's the southerners who like theirs more like a loaf. So if I ever risk a lasaga again I'm going to have to ask if the chef comes from northern or southern Italy!

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • callansdad
    Options
    JillD wrote:
    I use Asda smart price lasagne and whack it straight in the dish, I never knwe you needed to wet it so I don't!

You don't need to wet it but i find that if you pop it in the oven straight after making it up then it tends to make the sheets a little harder. I either wet them if in a hurry or make the lasagne up in advance and leave it for a few hours so the sheets soak up some moisture.

I don't like sloppy lasagne. It came out that way a few weeks ago and was awful :o
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
  • evab_2
    evab_2 Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    Options
    HI all, I aways think that lasagne is better on the second day as all the juice from the meat sauce has soaked into the pasta nicely and its just scrumy!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I always add bacon (very finely chopped) to my spag bol/lasagne it really adds a lovely taste!!!
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    evab wrote:
    HI all, I aways think that lasagne is better on the second day as all the juice from the meat sauce has soaked into the pasta nicely and its just scrumy!

Definitely - it's the same with most slow-cooked stuff, like stews, chilli, and shepherd's pie; they need time to let the flavours merge together (not that there's generally much chance of that in our house!)

I find with bechamel sauce that the flour can make it go a bit rubbery, especially if it's left overnight, so I make a cheese sauce instead, and use cheese to thicken the sauce, rather than flour. That turns lovely and brown in the oven, and gives a really nice flavour.
  • Anthropositor
    Options
    Hello folks,
    I have begun making my own cheese. This particular white cheese is nicely seasoned, and although I have not yet made lasagna with it, I expect it will be excellent. It is about as easy as cheesemaking gets and cuts down sharply on your cheese costs.

Here is the link:

http://www.cheesemaking.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12&PN=1

It is free. When you make it, please share your thoughts and reactions on that thread. Hope you enjoy the cheesemaking experience as much as I am.

This cheese has bits of onion, caraway seed, dillweed, poppy seed and cracked black pepper. It is great cold, sliced thin on crackers or bread. I have not yet melted or baked any of it. Have fun.
    Anthropositor
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks indeed for all the helpful suggestions.

Hubby did indeed make the lasagna..........and it was lovely. I scoffed a huge plate of it and he had some reheated again the next day and said it was even better. I honestly had given up hope of my husband every cooking me a meal....!

Some of the above suggestions/ideas have been great. I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible though - we are well skint at the moment and every penny saved! He made it with yellow stickerered mince, smartprice sheets etc and still turned out lovely. Would perhaps add some bacon next time to see how that turns out.

Used (I think and forgive me if I am wrong!) Squeaky's recipe for cheese sauce (putting cheese, flour and mixing together and then adding the milk). Was lovely.

Cheers Guys!
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    catowen wrote:
    I always add bacon (very finely chopped) to my spag bol/lasagne it really adds a lovely taste!!!

smoked bacon bits are pretty good too
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Lasagne is currently Delia's Recipe of the Month
    once all in pour over cheese sauce and then put grated cheese on top

It's personal choice and nothing wrong with this - but usually, you would use Bechemel (savoury white) sauce and layer it with the bolognaise & lasagne sheets.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport