PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using Shampoo in the Washing Machine

Comments

• fiesta04
    fiesta04 Posts: 516 Forumite
    After reading the same post last week about 22p value shampoo I tried it. Very good results on all but whites. It took a few loads to find right dosage, but I found 100 ml of shampoo worked well without foaming excessively. The only downside was it needed an extra rinse. Did not add oil and clothes smelt nice without conditioner and the big bonus was clothes ironed well too. I am up for 2p a load!!!
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    oooooooooo that's a new one for me,
    i use the cheap stuff for a bath or hand wash as I can't get stardrops anymore near me - grrr
    please let me know how you get on with this.
    xx
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    Just buy normal washing liquid/powder and use an amount relative to the soiling.

Eg if it says '28 washes' you'll get 28 washes of heavy soiled clothes and 100 of ones you just need to freshen.
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 342 Forumite
    wow, right im using this on my darks from now on then and my whites n lights will use powder, i use the sp shampoo or cheap sp bubble bath anyways for hand wash as this saves me a few pennies.
    io have bought a box of 50 washes but i only use 1 tbsp of powder in each load, on a quick wash extra rinse, as only heavily stained or soiled items go on normal wash its brought some of my electric down ;)
    will get some cheap hair conditioner.

Thanks for this post! xxx
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • polejunkie
    polejunkie Posts: 177 Forumite
    Sometimes if im washing my DD things, you the clothes that she wears it for an hour, it fell on the floor, fell off a hanger, she looked at it etc etc I dont bother to use any detergent just a tiny bit of essential oil in the washer drawer.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you just need to scent your laundry I wouldn't bother using pure essential oils. Some of them can cost a fortune. Just a drop or two of any old scented oil will do. You can buy it in places like Boots or Holland & Barratt quite cheaply
  • polejunkie
    polejunkie Posts: 177 Forumite
    If you just need to scent your laundry I wouldn't bother using pure essential oils. Some of them can cost a fortune. Just a drop or two of any old scented oil will do. You can buy it in places like Boots or Holland & Barratt quite cheaply

I have a stack of oils left over from when doing my aromatherapy course and 3 other kits that were given to me from people dropping out. I need to use them up somehow.
  • tanyalbeck
    tanyalbeck Posts: 70 Forumite
    I know this is an old post but..... Can I use a 2in1 shampoo and conditioner in the washer? I have pantenes smooth and sleek 2 in 1 and it makes my hair pretty awful but I hate the idea of wasting it! What else could I do with it?!
    Tanya x
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near a washing-machine. At a push I might use it for hand-washing delicates or cleaning floors
  • never thought of using this before thanks for tip! x
    OU student Q54 :eek:
    B120
    LB160

next..? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.