Cheap e-book readers discussion

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Brian - yes go for it! The Kindle Touch should be a good choice and a bargain too.

The only problem is getting hold of one... as far as I know it's still a 'first come first served' waiting list for the Touch which launches on 21st November. So you could order one and it might not get to you in time for your holiday. There's no guarantee that it'll be in the shops at Christmas either.

If you have a contact there who'd be happy to ship it on for you, then that may well be a risk worth taking :wink:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • John58_2
    Options
    I will never buy one of these things until new e-books (I'm not interested in out of copyright free books) are at least half the price of real books. Often these days they are more expensive than real books!
  • nqsenile
    Options
    Kindle "Touch" (Kindle4) Better price
    Tesco buy on-line £79 at the moment (Wed 9 Nov2011) out of stock
    or
    PC World/Currys
    Buy cheap own label blender (£6 ish) & get £10 off voucher for next purchase over £75 from 10 Nov 2011, which just could be a £89 Kindle ;-)
    Incidentally there's a Kindle Users Forum at http://www.kuforum.co.uk/ whence the tip above.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nqsenile wrote: »
    Kindle "Touch" (Kindle4) Better price
    Tesco buy on-line £79 at the moment (Wed 9 Nov2011) out of stock

I'm confused... The Kindle 4 and Kindle Touch are two different devices - the Kindle 4 has a five-way controller at the bottom and no touch screen. The Kindle Touch is not for sale in the UK at all :(
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a link, listing dozens of websites 'stocking' free ebooks.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/comment/reply/725
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • nqsenile
    Options
    I'm confused... The Kindle 4 and Kindle Touch are two different devices - the Kindle 4 has a five-way controller at the bottom and no touch screen. The Kindle Touch is not for sale in the UK at all :(
    Mea culpa I meant Kindle 4. :o Just bought one at PCW/Currys
  • moneyse1
    Options
    Clowance wrote: »
    Dont get too excited, my library only offers 100 ebooks. No novels at all no agatha christie, some poetry(?!!) some autobiography and some of those misery autobiography stuff. What are they thinking!

Just have another look to make sure - most of the libraries seem to be undecided as to which way they're going to jump, so you may well find longer lists using a slightly different method of transfer. For instance, my local library has a few hundred using Overdrive, but far more using Public Libraries Online, and it's not immediately obvious that the second exists.
  • moneyse1
    Options
    can get the latest blockbuster eBooks for free from my local library should I wish (UK Libraries use the ePub format with Adobe DRM) My Kindle toting brother can only buy them from places like Amazon.

For me, this was a huge factor in deciding on which one to get, and I also chose the Sony (the new PRS-T1). My local library provides a good range of ebooks, and I do think it's very important to keep supporting it.

One thing I think is realy missing from that article are details for e-readers that allow you to make notes and that handle PDFs well. The Sony does both, and again for me, this was a big factor in the decision. The other thing I'd really like to see is an article about alternative covers for the ereaders.

Incidentally, ebuyer will be selling the T1 at the end of the month for around £15 less than in the Sony shop.
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Just got back from the US again... Best Buy now has the Kindle Touch in stock (no need to order), so anyone going out there is probably better off finding their nearest store: https://www.bestbuy.com

I also picked up a Kindle Keyboard 3G while I was there (to replace my Kindle 4 which I'm selling to a friend). It's advertised on Amazon at $139 but was available instore at Best Buy for $89 including free 3G internet worldwide for life. Chuffed with that :grin:

Curiously though the white colour was $189 :eek: Apparently a collectors' item??
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that the discount code for £10 off a £75 spend at Tesco Direct is no longer valid on the Kindle.

I have updated the Kindle's guide accordingly. Will update with a new code as and when we have more information.

MSE Becca
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport