We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap e-book readers discussion

Options

Comments

• davholla
    Options
    Kimmy58 wrote: »
    Elonex 500EB 5" Colour TFT eReader Reduced to 49.99 @ Waterstones, only catch £4.95 Delivery Charge.
    Have you got one? What are they like?
  • Bella_b
    Options
    Rumour is that Amazon are bringing out a colour ereader tablet esque this autumn / winter sometime. It's gonna be bit like the Nook Color which is a colour ebook reader which has been very popular in the US but unavailable here. I think Nook Colour is the best color ereader on the market but it wont work in the uk as B&N won't let you download books outside the US. I see they've also reduced the price of a normal kindle now to £79.

I think Amazon would be flooded with orders for the colour version as it will have wifi conectivity as well I think, and all their services would be attached at the click of a button. Rumour is that it will be hidden Android based so it may be possible to make into a full version of Android with app store.
  • Bella_b
    Options
    davholla wrote: »
    Have you got one? What are they like?

The Gadget show did a review on color ebook readers a few weeks ago including the Eloinex and results weren't great.
  • Bella_b
    Options
    So he needs something that:
    - Has a reasonably long battery life for when he's off travelling,
    - Can be paired with a 3G PAYG dongle for use where there's no WiFi,
    - Runs Android operating system.

Any suggestions for the latter welcome! It's my intention to set up both the readers and load them up with books I think they'll be interested in before giving them over at Christmas.

Samsung galaxy tab 7 " but make sure it is the P1000 wifi & 3G version.. you can get it discounted on ebay.. some people sell them brand new & unopened at great discount.
  • Bella_b
    Bella_b Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    Just found this... Amazon Kindle Fire tablet e-reader!!! http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VV!!!/ref=amb_link_357575542_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=1TM839K8V00WQ7FK2S6T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321408942&pf_rd_i=507846

Awesome!! :T:j:beer::D:cool: Have been waiting ages for this!!

No mention of this on the UK site though. Hopefully it will be available before christmas. Would be silly not to really!! I think price point will be about £130-150! It is $199 USD.
  • silly_moo
    silly_moo Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think it will be available before Christmas - if it was, they would already be advertising it! As usual, UK is far behind US when it comes to electrical goods.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I go to the US, I can get a Kindle 3 (3G) for £91... or I can get a Kindle 2 (3G) for £50.

Is the 3rd generation really that much better than the 2nd generation, to pay almost double the price? As far as I can tell, both versions have:
    - worldwide free 3G
    - eInk display
    - keyboard and 6" screen
    - long battery life

... before I go ahead and order my Kindle 2, can anyone persuade me to fork out the extra £40 for the newer model?

(I'm not interested in the new Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire - one doesn't have 3G and the other doesn't have eInk).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • spotit
    spotit Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem I foundwith Kindle is that you cannot download books from library. Yo need n iPad for this.
  • landsker
    Options
    Our local library has ebooks, BUT charge £1 per book to download.
  • bminns3809
    Options
    Good morning, We are visiting the USA over the Christmas holiday and as the Kindle appears to be cheaper there I thought I would wait and buy one then. I know the Kindle Fire is not a good buy for the UK as it uses Amazons (American) Whispernet but the Kindle Touch appears to be the same functionality as the Kindle Keyboard in a touch screen and is not being released over here in the foreseeable. Does anyone have any information that would suggest what I am thinking is the best way to go, i.e. buy a Kindle Touch while in the USA? Thanks Brian
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport