Charging Order on my property?

Options
Hi

Some time ago I was threatened with a CCJ for an old debt. I had had a CCJ on this around 10 years ago, but was not aware of it having moved around the time it was issued.

When I got threatened with the 2nd CCJ I paid the debt in full.

Now the debt collectors in question, who are well known here, have claimed I still owe them over £5000 and I think they are referring to after judgement interest.

I recieved a letter offering a 50% sum as a full and final settlement, and the first sentence claims "We currently hold a secured interest in your property as a result of previous legal action"

Could they have a charging order on my property despite the fact I paid the original debt in full before the 2nd ccj hearing?

How can I find out if there is one?

I have looked at the land registry searches site, but it is not obvious.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    I should know how to answer this, because I had a charge on my property, but sadly I can't remember. I am sure however, someone will come along who does.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2011 at 11:37PM
    Options
    jools39 wrote: »
    Hi

Some time ago I was threatened with a CCJ for an old debt. I had had a CCJ on this around 10 years ago, but was not aware of it having moved around the time it was issued.

When I got threatened with the 2nd CCJ I paid the debt in full.

Now the debt collectors in question, who are well known here, have claimed I still owe them over £5000 and I think they are referring to after judgement interest.

I recieved a letter offering a 50% sum as a full and final settlement, and the first sentence claims "We currently hold a secured interest in your property as a result of previous legal action"

Could they have a charging order on my property despite the fact I paid the original debt in full before the 2nd ccj hearing?

How can I find out if there is one?

I have looked at the land registry searches site, but it is not obvious.

Thanks for any advice.

All this sounds a bit strange. You can't get another cca on the same debt. Someone can only try to enforce an existing one that's unsatisfied - but you say it was paid in full?

If a dca is claiming interest, they can go and swing!

More info please.

Original creditor
    Who got the ccj
    Who is the dca now.

Sounds like the usual scumbag dca phishing trip to me....;)

Edit.

Don't worry about the "supposed charge" atm

There is also the issue that this may well be statute barred by now, but can't tell without more info....
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • RedTulip
    Options
    Hi Jools39

I would imagine you would be aware of a charging order on you property as a charging order basically creates a legal interest in your home, meaning it cannot be sold with out paying the debt.

I agree with thechippy, looks like they might be trying it on.
    Here to offer help and advice, and maybe take a little in return.

Whilst I am happy to share my knowledge, I am in no way a professional... I can not therefore accept responsibility for inaccurate info, I ask that you take professional advice rather than rely totally the info provided by myself :beer:
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once the debt was cleared it would be normal practice for the company to have the charging order removed.
    Writing to the Land Registry to confirm it was removed would have been a good idea, however it seems you didn't know there was an order? That is strange because they should have put an interim charging order on your property and then you would have been informed and had the chance to go to court to try to stop the final order being put on your property.
    You can look at your title deeds online to see if there is a charging order on them, I think there is a charge of £14.95 to look at the Title deed ( or register as they call it now).
    Have a look here http://www.land-reg.co.uk/landregistrytitleregisters.aspx
    I went to a solicitor recently and he took about one minute to get the Title Deeds to my house so I guess they have instant access, maybe paying an annual fee for the privilege, it may be worth seeing one and then get the solicitor to download the info.
  • Lucy1010
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    I should know how to answer this, because I had a charge on my property, but sadly I can't remember. I am sure however, someone will come along who does.

Please would you mind telling me what happened with that?
    Debt Bust LBM 01/01/2013 - [STRIKE]£11,115.28[/STRIKE] £10,593.81

Debt free date: Sept 2014 :beer:
  • Byatt
    Options
    Lucy1010 wrote: »
    Please would you mind telling me what happened with that?

With the charge? My house was sold and they were paid from the equity.
  • Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Posts: 362 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2011 at 1:59PM
    Options

Sorry I had to edit this... it was late last night

So was it a big debt and were you forced to sell the house?

I have a charging order of £2200 and I have no intention of selling the house not for a good few years anyway

• Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options

Sorry I had to edit this... it was late last night

So was it a big debt and were you forced to sell the house?

I have a charging order of £2200 and I have no intention of selling the house not for a good few years anyway

• jools39
    jools39 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2011 at 6:47PM
    Options
    thechippy wrote: »
    All this sounds a bit strange. You can't get another cca on the same debt. Someone can only try to enforce an existing one that's unsatisfied - but you say it was paid in full?

If a dca is claiming interest, they can go and swing!

More info please.

Original creditor
    Who got the ccj
    Who is the dca now.

Sounds like the usual scumbag dca phishing trip to me....;)

Edit.

Don't worry about the "supposed charge" atm

There is also the issue that this may well be statute barred by now, but can't tell without more info....

Hi and thanks for the reply.

To elaborate a little.

I was issued with a CCJ in July 2001 for around 6K it was for a debt owed to the First National Bank PLC

I was not aware of this having moved and not received forwarded mail.

In March 2009 I got notice from Asset L ink Capital they had applied to the county court to be granted leave to enforce the judgement.

In Sept 09 I got notice that the hearing would be in October 2009 which included an application for a charging order on my property.

Sept 09 I got notice of an interim order on my property.

Oct 09 I paid the full amount on the CCJ prior to the court hearing. It was my debt and I was in a position to pay it so I did thinking that would be the end of it.

I was led to believe that this would prevent the order being confirmed.

In Nov 09 I received notice from the court that it was ordered that "the claimant has permission to withdraw the application for a charging order and the interim charging order is discharged"

In Feb 11 I received a letter from L ink Financial offering a Special Offer for a full and final setttlement for the sum of around 5K they claim I owe them for 50%. I think they are claiming that I owe them after judgement interest on the original CCJ?

The first sentence of this letter says "We currently hold a secured interest in your property as a result of previous legal action"

Today I got a copy of the Land Registry report on my property and there is no mention of any charge on it.

That is the info as I have it.

Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

Thanks in advance.
  • Byatt
    edited 24 February 2011 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Hi jools,ooops I mean Lucy, it wasn't a big debt and I had to sell because of a divorce. I think if I hadn't had to sell, then the charge would remain until I did. I was sent a load of paperwork, so that would have explained more, but because of the divorce etc being so traumatic, I forget things.

Do you have proof there is a charge? Besides the letter? Bettie's post above gives info about checking. I'm sorry I'm not much help, I'm very woolly headed today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport