Dog Castration Cost

Comments

• CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    tankgirl1 wrote: »
    There is also the risk of testicular and prostatic cancer to bear in mind....... coupled with common behavioral probs I would always recommend true castration, or at least chemical castration.

We have to agree to differ. The chances of testicular cancer are very slight, the common behaviour problems are persistent humping (personally I have never had a whole dog who does it) and if I had an aggressive dog I might try it as an option, but there is a lot of pressure to neuter as if that is the passport of a 'responsible owner' and mostly it is knee-jerk IMO. I think that everyone needs to consider what is best for their own dogs and situation.

OP £75 is extremely cheap, you're very lucky with that! Your neighbour with his jumping !!!!!es is lucky that your dog hasn't already fathered a litter and refused to pay child support! :)
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    my 100kg mastiff cost £150. its done by weight at our vet.
  • i was quoted £200 for a patterdale! cheapest i got was £115! x
  • jenhug
    i was quoted £200 for a patterdale! cheapest i got was £115! x
    ouch! you are in kent aren't you? I use ALM Shepherd in Gillingham. Old mad and a genius.
  • ecsvn
    ecsvn Posts: 15 Forumite
    albacookie wrote: »
    At £60 they will barely cover their costs - I suspect they're using it as a loss leader. Be sure to check if the price includes pain control, buster collar and check ups.

This does sound too cheep to me too? Something is missing!? a Promotional price.

I know Medivet often have low prices for routinue procedures, not every practice charges the same the prices seem to vary on the area https://www.medivet.co.uk
  • jenhug wrote: »
    ouch! you are in kent aren't you? I use ALM Shepherd in Gillingham. Old mad and a genius.

i am, sunny whitstable, how much do they charge? x
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    tankgirl1 wrote: »
    We are in Derbyshire, and the price you have been estimated sounds about right - Our price ranges go from less than 10kg, to 10-30kg, to 30kg and above. This includes obviously pre ga vet check, premed, iv catheter (and fluids for !!!!! spays which cost more - major abdominal surgery), ga drugs etc, qualified nurse monitoring ga, operation itself incl vets time & theatre, waste, kit and laundry costs, consumables, post op care & food in practice, plus a post op check at 2 and 10-12 days post op. Plus pain killers, and antibiotics where needed.

I would urge everyone to check that their vets include at least the above, if not more, for any procedure under ga
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • jenhug
    i am, sunny whitstable, how much do they charge? x
    I paid £150 for my giant breed to be neutered. He weighs 100kg.
  • And they wonder why people don't get their pets neutered?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    And they wonder why people don't get their pets neutered?

I think £150 for a 100kg dog is excellent value. The cost of the drugs and the 4 or 5 staff needed to safely lift a 100kg dog, plus the huge kennel etc all cost a lot more money than a 20kg collie. The NHS has resulted in 3 generations of people who have no idea of the cost of treatment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure