We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to afford uni as a mature student?

2»

Comments

  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Really glad you got some answers dobedoodoo. Best of luck with your studies. :)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    A Foundation Degree for Paramedics will qualify for all the usual student funding package of loans, grants and bursaries.
  • Wakey2008
    Wakey2008 Posts: 149 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2011 at 3:23PM
    I was in a similar situation. I keep my mortgage job on 21 hours a week and, as I was over 25, claimed the maximum loan and grant without means testing. Cutting my hours down meant a pay cut of £8500 per year but my loan and grant gave me back over £6000 so all in all I was only £2500 worse off.

    I did quite a bit of freelance journalism prior to that though so my situation easily allowed me to make much more than the short fall in income I had.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser and Freelance Journalist
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.