I'm addicted

2»

Replies

• walkswalks Forumite
    411 Posts
    :( thanks for the link but she has not got a computer yet.so its down to pen and paper untill such times but thanx for your help :)
    Every cloud has a silver lining:j
  • VickyA_2VickyA_2 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Walks, when I first started keeping a record of my savings, I just had one of those little jotters (that you can get from Tesco Value range for 19p) to write everything down in. And I mean I wrote EVERYTHING down (all cups of tea included that I bought from the canteen). I just used a page for each day - or less depending on the amount that you spend. I used to put a star next to each thing that I didn't need that I had bought - like a bar of choccy, lunch instead of taking sandwiches and it really focussed me. My boyfriend on the other hand just thinks I'm sad! ;D
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 declared
  • savvysavvy Forumite
    31.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I agree it can be an obsession!  :o   In general this site works well, but you can waste time and money trying to feel that you are getting the absolute best deal and not getting conned
    That's nothing...........................it's worse if you go in the msa............................I've can't kick THAT habit!! :-/ :-[
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvysavvy Forumite
    31.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    :( hi can anyone help i am looking for a book for my daughter to write all her daily spends in i av seen one which is the good housekeeping diary but that is £8.50 from w h smiths is there any where else for me to try would be please for any help as she needs help with her house keeping thanks  ???
         :( worried mum  :(
    LOL keep an eye out for the WHSmith clearance section online.....................got very nice posh notebooks for like 35p!! :D
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • LOL keep an eye out for the WHSmith clearance section online.....................got very nice posh notebooks for like 35p!!  :D

cool, what spec? never thought you'd get a laptop for 35p :P ;D :o
  • Pebe_2Pebe_2 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Think I have also become addicted. I now get the same buzz from saving money that I used to get from spending money. (Though I'm still very new at this and have a long way to go.)
    In reply to the person asking for a suitable book to keep a record of spending in; I have just set up a sheet on the computer for each month and each credit card etc, photocopied enough for the year and bound it. That way at the end of the year I will have a complete copy of everything I have spent and records of payments off credit cards etc.
    I actually enjoy filling it in to see how much I have saved!
  • sarah1sarah1 Forumite
    185 Posts
    Hi Jo b ,
    Where can i get these buget sheets from?, i'm new to the site and it sounds a good idea !
    Thanks
    Sarah1
  • jo_b_2jo_b_2 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    sarah1 wrote:
    Hi Jo b ,
    Where can i get these buget sheets from?, i'm new to the site and it sounds a good idea !
    Thanks
    Sarah1

The article about the budget planner is here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1089226742,17582,

Within the article there is a link to download the MSE budget plan. Hope that helps. Jo. :)
  • winkle1winkle1 Forumite
    446 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    walks - i got a little notebook from WHSMITh for 59p to write all my spends in - its small enough to fit into handbag, pocket etc.
    ***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)
  • I have my notebook as my constant companion.

Even sadder, I go home and I transfer all my spendings into my Excel spreadsheet where I compare how much I have spent month on month. And I put a little function in to calcuate how much I had saved as a percentage of my income! I also have a spreadsheet for the joint account, and have noticed my partner is also looking at his online banking about 10x more than he used to, just to gloat at the amount he has stashed in savings each month.

And all this without making any serious changes, just becoming aware of where our money was going.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals