🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

FREE Fat Cakes Mould for bird feeding

Options

Comments

• qwertykeys92
    Options
    autumngirl wrote: »
    Individual silicone cupcake moulds can be picked up very cheaply (pound shops etc). Lots of people love them but I tried mine a couple of times and found that the cakes were sticking to the moulds....not sure what I'm doing wrong there but I'm sure the fat cakes would pop out very easily!
    Thanks for that - I was thinking of buying some but not so sure now - you've saved me some money! :D I've had 'bad experiences' with silicone cake moulds before (the large ones) but I wondered if the cupcake size was any different.
    Thanks again for the link. They're £4.99 on Amazon so yours was a great spot! :)
    I'd seen them on Amazon and thought 'that's a bit steep' so I was chuffed when I stumbled across them on Play.com! Glad to have helped you!
  • autumngirl
    autumngirl Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for that - I was thinking of buying some but not so sure now - you've saved me some money! :D I've had 'bad experiences' with silicone cake moulds before (the large ones) but I wondered if the cupcake size was any different.

Don't just take my word for it - it's probably just me!!!

I've seen on other threads that people are going mad for them at the moment (there's a popular magazine out at the mo, for 99p, which comes with a free set of silicone cases). I'm sure others will be able to point out the merits of this type of bakeware and give us some tips! :)
  • donquine
    donquine Posts: 695 Forumite
    Options
    Don't just take my word for it - it's probably just me!!!

I've seen on other threads that people are going mad for them at the moment (there's a popular magazine out at the mo, for 99p, which comes with a free set of silicone cases). I'm sure others will be able to point out the merits of this type of bakeware and give us some tips! :)

I always use silicone cupcake cases. Initial outlay is a pound for at least six (depends on what size you buy). Given that it means you can stop buying paper cupcake cases and that silicone cupcake cases go on and on, it's very MSE. ;)

Assuming you follow a decent cupcake recipe (if you don't have a tried and tested one, you can find a basic one on be-ro.com for free), the cake will not stick to the cupcase case. Not one crumb. You don't need to grease the case either.

If a cake breaks in half when you try to take it out of the case, you need to wait for the rest of the batch to cool down a little before you attempt to free the other cakes. If anything else goes wrong when trying to pop them out, either your recipe is no good or your timing when taking the cakes out was off.

I'd definitely recommend them.

I imagine you could make fat cakes quite easily with them too.
  • qwertykeys92
    Options
    99p isn't bad at all, especially for 6-ish! I wouldn't mind trying my hand at the silicone cupcake moulds for that price.

Basically the 'Fat Bird' pack is just one 'cupcake' mould and a tiny bit of seed. You could buy more than the amount they give you with the leftover money!

Do you have any idea what the magazine is/was?
  • qwertykeys92
    Options
    Hold on a minute, I've just found this thread on MSE, about the new Baked & Delicious magazine series - first issue is 99p with a set of cupcake silicone moulds - is that the one you meant?
  • autumngirl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hold on a minute, I've just found this thread on MSE, about the new Baked & Delicious magazine series - first issue is 99p with a set of cupcake silicone moulds - is that the one you meant?

Yep that's the one!
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Freebie anyone ?;):)
  • autumngirl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sirmarcus wrote: »

Yeah I'd love one but Yorkshire Water don't want to send me one! ;)

Sorry for going a bit off topic, if that's what you mean!
  • qwertykeys92
    Options
    sirmarcus wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love one but Yorkshire Water don't want to send me one! ;)

Sorry for going a bit off topic, if that's what you mean!

So would I! Sorry! :D
  • looie
    looie Posts: 706 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks op just received the fat cake mould this morning :D

Going to try doing one this afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing