We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Provider won't mend my phone - say tampered with

I have a 2 year contract with 3 - renewed about 3 months ago with an upgraded handset. Last week the handset wouldn't charge properly, so I sent it back to 3 for a repair.

I have been informed by the engineers that they found solder in the handset, this is evidence of unauthorised repair, and so they will not repair it.

I absolutely definitely have not tried to have it repaired or even opened up the phone myself, I am housebound and deal with everything by phone or post, I wouldn't pay a carer to take it somewhere, and my phone has been with me all the time since I first bought it (over the phone from 3). All I can think of is that it either happened in manufacture, or more likely they muddled up a returned phone with a new one before it was sent out to me - but they say they definitely didn't send me a refurbished phone.

I have spoken to a manager, but they say the evidence is there. To add insult to injury, I've been sent a letter saying I will have to pay £20 expenses to them - as well as having to buy a new phone!

Is there anything anyone can suggest I do?

Many thanks
Kate
«1

Comments

  • satyc
    satyc Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi
    What phone is it?
    Was it bought directly off 3?
    If you think it may have got mixed up check the IMME no, which is basically the serial no of the phone, this will be on the box it came with and under the battery cover.
  • satyc
    satyc Posts: 17 Forumite
    ps ask for evidence of the tampering, possibly in the way of pics
  • It was a sony ericsson Hazel, it was bought directly from 3 as part of the contract. I don't think it got muddled up at the engineers, all the other info they had was correct, I think the muddle can only have happened before it was sent out to me when I bought it. The engineers are sending the broken phone back to me.

    How would pictures help? I'm afraid I know nothing about soldering!!

    Thanks very much for your replies.

    Kate
  • Try contacting the Three Executive office, that's generally the best way to get an issue like this sorted if the managers wont budge. Try and avoid emotional language and just stick to the facts, you purchased the phone through Three, used it as intended, phone became faulty so you sent it back knowing it was under warranty (so why would you try and repair it yourself?) and as far as you're concerned the innards are the same as they were when the phone was purchased.

    I don't doubt that there's a blob of solder, the engineer most likely knows what he or she is doing and it seems more likely that a blob of molten metal went somewhere it shouldn't, quality control is never 100%, you're always going to have some faulty products especially with electronics when so many things can go wrong.

    Direct phone number for Three Executive Office: 08707 330 295
    3 (Three Mobile) Executive Office
    Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd
    123 St Vincent Street
    Glasgow
    G2 5EA
    email: executive.office@three.co.uk
  • I'd state that they have given you a 2nd hand handset at upgrade and insist that they give you a new one. They would be in breach of contract me thinks.
  • Very helpful comments, thank you. And the Executive Office is a better place to write to than the Complaints dept, you think?

    Cheers
    Kate
  • Parsnip1 wrote: »
    Very helpful comments, thank you. And the Executive Office is a better place to write to than the Complaints dept, you think?

    Cheers
    Kate
    Yeah, certainly, with the complaints dept they're most likely outsourced and deal with large volumes of complaints. The executive office generally assign an individual employed directly by Three and based in the UK to deal with your case (although they may have a Glasweigan accent :D ).
  • I purchased a phone from Tesco Mobile in October last year and it developed a fault a few weeks ago. Tesco refused to help me and made me phone HTC direct. I then had to send the phone to them, but they are now saying that I tampered with the phone and want £112 to repair it. I can either pay this, pay £12 to get it back unrepaired or let them destroy it.

    I can say hand on heart that I have never touched the inside of the phone and just want my phone back, repaired, so that I can carry on with the rest of my 2 year contract.

    Why are Tesco refusing to help me, even when I have sent them a standard Sale Of Goods Act letter saying it is their responsibility to deal with HTC and not mine? Their staff are the most unhelpful I have ever come across.

    What can I do to get the phone repaired or at least stop it being destroyed while I talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau? Nobody seems the slightest bit interested in helping. I have emailed Phil Clarke (Tesco CEO) but have so far had no response.

    Please help.
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    As it is more than six months since purchase, the onus is on you to prove that the handset is inherently faulty. The best way to do this is to obtain an engineers report. One way of doing this is to return to the manufacturer. So you need to prove to the retailer (Tesco) that the handset is faulty and not damaged.

    A completely different avenue is to take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty.

    As to the engineer's claim that the handset has been tampered with, your next step is to get from them details of what the tampering is. Depending whether its physical or electronic will decide your next course.
  • Thanks for your reply.

    I have already asked HTC for a report and photographic proof of what the tampering is, but have had no response to this request at all. All they keep saying is that I need to pay £112 for the repair or £12 to get the phone back unrepaired. HTC are the manufacturer. How can I make them send the report / proof?

    I have also had a reply from the Tesco CEO's office saying that they are going to look at my emails. Whether that means they will do anything only time will tell.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.