We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Student Housing

13»

Comments

  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2011 at 8:45PM
    I'm not asking if I should, I wouldn't do anything like that! I'm just asking is a "good reference" important? I've just not known anyone need it, but a post earlier seems to suggest it is - "for the sake of a good reference I'd cough up". That is why I am surprised I haven't had to supply a home address or a reference - and nope I've not got a guarantor either.

    As for going through the uni, wouldn't the uni be in breach of DPA if they go dishing your details out to anyone? The housing agreements have nothing to do with them so I thought the universities wouldn't be allowed to give your info out, as there is no relationship between you, the uni and the landlord (unlike my first year when I'm in halls with a contract signed via uni) - so they'd be essentially giving out your information to any Tom, !!!!!! or Harry which must breach some kind of regulation?

    Again, just to stress I have no intention of doing this! The people I'm moving in with have been living there this year and I've met the landlord and they're both very nice! I'm just wondering about a reference, but realise my post could've came across in the wrong way!!
  • Zack1 wrote: »

    As for going through the uni, wouldn't the uni be in breach of DPA if they go dishing your details out to anyone? The housing agreements have nothing to do with them so I thought the universities wouldn't be allowed to give your info out, as there is no relationship between you, the uni and the landlord (unlike my first year when I'm in halls with a contract signed via uni) - so they'd be essentially giving out your information to any Tom, !!!!!! or Harry which must breach some kind of regulation?

    I wasn't suggesting that the university could give out your details but that you could be contacted through them. I had a letter sent on from my bank once when an organisation didn't have my contact details.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.