British gas- in credit/refund

Options
GeeBee38
GeeBee38 Posts: 3,230 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Hi i am in credit with my electricity bill by £150 and have recently recieved a gas bill for which i am in debit by £200,i pay an agreed weekly amount for both,i have asked british gas if i can transfer my electricity credit to help pay towards the gas bill,they said this is not possible,as they would have to close both accounts and start me again like they would a new customer,they won't even send me a refund for the credit,this is my money that i have paid,is this correct? i would be happy for any advice? thank you.

Comments

• 8u87fhsd
    Options
    Hi,

Don't know their current rules but when I was last in credit they refunded it to my bank account.

If they do that then you could use to make a manual payment to the Gas bill.

You might want to adjust your payments so you pay more gas and less electricity.

N.B. will your ANNUAL (i.e. 52 x weekly) gas payments bring you in credit? I can be in debit over winter when we use a lot of gas (in summer it is only for the cooker) but as I still pay the same amount every month I'm usually in credit Sept/Oct but in debit Jan/Feb.
  • GeeBee38
    Options
    Thankyou very much for the advice,maybe the rules have changed but they won't refund into the bank either,i always pay the same amount every week all year,i just can't understand the large bill this time as it's never happened before,i will ring them again and once again,thanks for your help x
  • j2011
    j2011 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Did you know that e.on just take one DD per month and combine the gas and electricity bills so that there is just a debit or credit on the bill so that the above does not happen if you are on dual fuel?
  • GeeBee38
    Options
    no i didn't know that,i will look into this,thankyou very much for your help.
  • hannahO_2
    Options
    I think you have been misinformed. I have had a refund of credit by British Gas without closing an account. First they told me that they can only refund by cheque. When the cheque didn't come they did a transfer from Gas to Electricity account, though I was told it's special and rare but they did it considering the circumstance.
    Money is not the root of all evil.
    It depends on how you obtain it and how you use it.

Have you sold your soul to the devil?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask for a cheque refund, use that to pay the other account.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goblin36 wrote: »
    Thankyou very much for the advice,maybe the rules have changed but they won't refund into the bank either,i always pay the same amount every week all year,i just can't understand the large bill this time as it's never happened before,i will ring them again and once again,thanks for your help x

I paid an extra ammount into both my gas and electric to help me through the cold spell.......Ive just had a bill today saying my electric was £170 in credit....I asked them to refund £150 of it, and its on its way....I cant see why your case is different to mine...so you should get it......you then just pay it off your other account...
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • GeeBee38
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice,looks like i am being fobbed off! i will ring them again,i will let you know the outcome,thanks again.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    j2011 wrote: »
    Did you know that e.on just take one DD per month and combine the gas and electricity bills so that there is just a debit or credit on the bill so that the above does not happen if you are on dual fuel?

So do Scottish Power.

I moved from BG to SP last year because BG wanted to increase my electricity DD to £45 a month from £25, despite the fact that I was in credit and we were coming into spring. It made no sense at all and they wouldn't budge.

I changed to SP, I now pay one DD for both bills, and after being with them for 6 months (two bills) they reduced my DD without me even asking, because I was in credit. My dual fuel DD is now the same as my DD was for gas alone with BG, and so far it seems to be covering my bills.

Edit - I also went through Topcashback and got £120 back for switching :-))))
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goblin36 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice,looks like i am being fobbed off! i will ring them again,i will let you know the outcome,thanks again.

Hi, if i may say so....rather than just create a post to thank people for usefull advice, the sytem was created to just hit the thanks button.....of course to only those who have helped you....
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure