We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Iphone 4 problem

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

I recently bought an iphone 4, and have had trouble hearing people on the phone. It is fine when I am at home in silence, I can just about hear the person on the other end, although it is very quiet. However, when I'm out it's a nightmare, everywhere that has even the slightest background noise makes it impossible to hear the other end of the phone call.

I've got the volume up to full and I can't work it out.

I know when the iphone 4 first came out there were signal issues because of where people hold the phone, but I have no problem with signal, I have full signal it's just so quiet!

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!

Comments

  • cassk
    cassk Posts: 17 Forumite
    I had this problem when I first got my iphone 4. Have you tried using the '+' button on the left hand side of the phone? From memory, I think I pressed this when I got a call through and it seemed to make them louder. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks for you reply! I've tried this, and whenever I get a call in, I check that it is still turned up as high as it will go. When I put the phone on speakerphone it is fine and I can hear the other person fine, it is just when I try to take a call normally.

    Maybe I shall just take the phone back to the store and see if a new one would be any better.
  • Have you ensured all protective plastic stickers have been taken off the phone? There could be some muffling the earpiece.
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you may have a faulty speaker if you can't hear the caller. I suggest taking it back to Apple to be sorted.
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    My iphone 3 used to do strange things but if I connected it to the PC and did a sync it solved the problem.
  • Thank you so much for your replies everyone.

    Bowling_4_Gold - I tried peeling down the protective film and the sound was so much better! Thank you very much for this tip, I can't believe I didn't realise this might be causing it!

    Of course now I will need to buy a cover to protect the front of the screen while it's in my bag, but I'm very glad the phone isn't faulty!

    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.