We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice please... Spinach, lettuce, rocket

Options

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    btw nice one with the polytunnel, those slugs are a constant pain lol.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Pixiechic
    Options
    I am definately going to try it, sounds tasty and really good for you! If the slugs don't like it then I'm really going to try it!

My basil caring ability seems to be quite hit and miss, I think I did the same with the watering. Too much and I watered from the top too. I just repotted the basil today as the stem had no support it just seems to have grown really quickly. I hope it survives the repot and I will water from underneath from now on. I tried thyme, rosemary, coriander, chives, dill, garlic chives, oregano, sage and tarrogan. They all died :o. I bit off way more than I could chew by sewing every seed in the packet! I had so many plants it was ridiculous. I

Which plants and herbs need the sucessional growing?

Yum, perpetual spinach, will look at that too, thanks. I tried to grow broccoli last year. As I planted every seed, I had loads of plants and when I put them out I put them too close and I had kept them indoors too long so they had bolted a bit and they flowered :rotfl:!

As I said, quite a few lessons to be learnt from last years attempts! Thats where the succesional sewing comes in, not to plant every seed at the same time! :o
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found the softer annual herbs like dill, coriander,basil and parsley all go leggy and or bolt so easily that this year I will keep resowing them rather than try to fight nature lol.

I had the too many seedlings at the same time problems lol, now I've learnt my lesson and will sow little and often. Mine you my Dad still ends up with extra plants as he under estimates how many seeds will germinate. Last year he had 24 little gems all the same sowing age lol. Still mum and he never ran out of lettuce (little gems weren't even the only variety he grew lol).

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I have grown perpetual spinach for years and recommend it. It grows very quickly (especially if you prefer small rather than big leaves) so I would not worry about starting it off now. I have about 6 plants in the garden that have all survived the snow and winter and they have not bolted yet and do not look anywhere close to bolting. I find it always bolts eventually but just pull it up and grow some more.

It needs no care and I have found it so much easier than rocket or basil.
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    ALIBOBSY, Hahaha, my Dad advised me to sew the whole packets of seeds, so I blame him for my uncontrollable abundance last year. I think he was under the impression that I might not have much success. Therefore sewing them all would at least give me some potential yield as was my first attempt . I am fortunate to have a very kind porch in which they all thrived in yet we were unable to use that door for a good few weeks due to all the seed trays :rotfl:. So this year I will definately be doing the same as you, sewing little and often. I just couldn't keep up last year, hahaha. The compost alone was costing me a fortune, not very MSE! :D
    Little gems are a good idea too. I have a notebook dedicated to advice and ideas that I get so those will now be added too, thank you.
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    Aless, thankyou, I will def be trying it, the fact that it sounds so hardy is a plus for me! I do love a nice leafy salad and veg and to have 4 of 5 different varieties at hand will be fantastic.
    What causes them to bolt and can it be avoided? If they do bolt does that mean that they will no longer produce edible leaves? Will they flower like my disatrous attempt at broccoli did? Is it just a case of pulling them up and resewing more seeds? Or is the point of succesional growing, that you always have some more getting ready in the background? How long will the plants live on average, producing edible leaves before I would need to resew?

Sorry for all the questions, experience with gardening is like gold dust to me!
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure why they bolt I am afraid. I have had more than 12 months out of plants before they bolted and others maybe about 9 months. It bolts a lot slower than rocket which took a matter of weeks and really put me off it. I have out, of nostalgia, kept plants after they have bolted but it really is not worth it and you should just pull them up and replant more seeds. When they bolt they start to produce less and smaller leaves and instead start to produce seeds. You can still eat the leaves but you get so little it is not worth it and the plant grows very big with the result that it grows very big but you get so little for it. Pull it up before it flowers.

I am a bit ad hoc with my gardening so I do not plant as successively as a good planner would and tend to only do it when I notice plants starting to bolt. I only need to plant to or three batches for crop all year.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Some veg such as spinach and rocket will bolt because they are cool weather crops and as soon as it gets warmer, they put up flower heads for the next generation as they try to produce seeds. Also, the day length is still getting longer so they get sensitive to their season end.

So, succession sow regularly and you will always have them. I hate rocket so give it all away to my family - but love spinach and sow it regularly. My first batch is up but I will sow more in about a fortnight. And I'll keep sowing a pinch every few weeks until about Oct.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    i planted some rocket about an hour ago.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    I see, thankyou, thats why mine all bolted last year, because I had kept them in a too warm environment! That will be easily solved, thanks. I am going to mix the seeds together too and keep sewing every couple of weeks. Do you sew the seeds in the same pot? Like, pull the old ones out and sew in the new seeds or do you do it in a different container? Thanks for all the advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure