We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Advice please... Spinach, lettuce, rocket

Options
Hello,

Could anyone advise on when I can start growing these veg/salad indoors? I am keen to get going but I am not sure about when to start and whether they can be grown indoors and if they can, when would they need to be put outside and ultimately, survive? :)

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    All of these can be sown all year round; if you choose winter lettuces.

My spinach and lettuce has just germinated after begin sown 2 weeks ago - in an unheated greenhouse. Lettuces that I sowed in another unheated greenhouse in Nov have just been repotted into living salad pots for selling on in a few weeks.

If you sown once a month, or once a fortnight during the summer months - you should have lettuce leaves year round.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have a propagator, would I need to use that or just sew them indoors and cover over? Will they all stay in the house or need to go outside? Than you for your help :)
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    They don't need the heat. Sow them and put them in either a coldframe or greenhouse as soon as you have sown them. If you have got space, sow them in a long tray and keep on the windowledge for easy access.
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    Thanks Sambucus, your'e such a star! I'm now off to sew my seeds now. Thanks again :)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 February 2011 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Agree with the other poster, the only thing which makes it hard to grow leaves and herbs all year around on the window sill is purely light levels. I started sowing herbs a couple of weeks ago(basil and parsley shot up in under a week lol) and some salad leaves went in this week.

Most salads don't like too high a heat so after germination mine will move to my cool front porch window. With leaves I like to plant 3 or 4 mixed leaf pots staggered so you eat from one whilst the rest are in various stages of growth. This time of year the will start of inside, but then progress to the greenhouse and outdoors as soon as possible. Frost is the issue, I am looking at the aldi fleece tunnels out next week and may try one of those to try to get some salads out doors. Plants to grow to say lettuce heads I would leave till march or so to get started.

I have found chard to be pretty indescructable once established and spinach is hardier than I thought. You can always join in with the annual "dash out at 7pm to clear up the slugs and cover all the seedlings against the frost athon" that most of us end up doing. Once you grow your own you will spend your whole time watching the weather rofl.

Good luck.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Pixiechic
    Options
    I have sewn my spinach and kale seeds in a window box type container and put in my coldframe outside. I have slightly watered them, is that right? My lettuce seeds are icebergs so think it might be too soon to sew?

Just noticed that my rather sad looking parsley plant in container outside has survived the winter! Needs a little tlc but I am hopeful.

I tried to do too much last year and was a little too eager. I am going to go a little steadier this year and try to learn a bit more.

Thank you for all your very helpful advice :)
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Most parsley is hardy and will grow back - my chives are already 6 inches tall after having all died back in the winter.

[It's sow, nor sew...for seeds]. The best way to water seeds is to dunk them in a tray of water for 30 mins, then to take them out and let them drain - the water draining out sucks the seeds into contact with the soil below.

Kale, depending on the size; is an outdoor crop and grows quite large, so you will have to keep on top of that to stop it trying to get very big. For salad leaves, buy a packet of spinach, rocket and cut and come again lettuce leaves, mix the lot together and sow a pinch every couple of weeks into modules; as the old plants are eaten there will be new plants that you can just drop into the soil.
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    Wow Sambucus Nigra, that was so informative, clear and concise. Thankyou, everytime I try to read up I get more and more confused with how I should do one and do the other, all different info. Your's is perfect a whole beginning to end to beginning again in clear easy steps! I will get the salad leaves seeds and do as advised, ummmm, I can't wait to try them. Might move the kale out when they start sprouting and put them elsewhere too :)
  • Pixiechic
    Options
    Hi ALIBOBSY, last year I tried to grow loads of herbs and half didn't make it. I don't know what I did but think I kept them in the house too long, too warm and they bolted. Then I just took them outside and they got too cold :o. Not very well thought out.
    I have put my seeds in the coldframe but think I might put mine in my porch too. Little way north here so still getting a good chill at night or is coldframe okay as its glass and will get light? Not sure about that.

I found a good solution to the slug issue, I was quite proud of that achievemnent :D. I got one of those clear plastic polytunnels that the garden centre sell. I erected it on the gravel drive and poured salt all round the inside edges and some shell. Loads of room in it too. The slugs never stood a chance :D

Chard looks very interesting, will replace that with the kale that I am going to remove. So spinach, salad leaves, rocket and chard! Yummy.

Thankyou
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We love chard here. Small early leaves are great in salads then the bigger ones can be used like cabbage. We found it to be indescrutable(sp) even surviving the snow and ice-although the chickens soon munched up what was left recently lol. Strangely we found the slugs seem to ignore it as well, but I grow most of my brassicas in trays until big enough to go out.

Many common herbs we use are from the med, I have found basil, parsley and rosemary to be sensitive to overwatreing. In fact they seem to be better treated a bit "mean" so to speak. I also find the soft herbs prefer to be watered from underneath especially basil. Plus the mistake I made in the past was not taking enough leaves and pinching out the tops as the grow to make them bush up. They all seem to bolt fairly easily, but most can still be used, and the flowers can add to salad dressings etc. you can even just leave the flowers for the insects and keep sowing in new pots to keep up supply. This is something I really need to watch this year, my sucessional sowing is my main push this year, especially for herbs and salad leaves.

Another leaf we like is perpetual spinach or leaf beet. Very like spinach with the young leaves and like cabbage/chard with the older ones. Its also winter hardy, so going to get some out as soon as I can/its big enough.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills