Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Options

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm assuming that you have a Premier Direct account because you haven't said otherwise. (If you had a normal Premier account you'd get printed statements which definitely state the amount of any charges and the date they will be collected).

If you are not getting monthly e-mails telling you to look at your statement there are two possible reasons:

- the e-mail address you have registered for your account is wrong, or you've since changed e-mail address; or
    - you have some sort of spam blocking (or your ISP does) which is blocking the A&L e-mails.

I find it very far-fetched to believe that there is any other reason for you not getting these e-mails; I've had them without fail every month since I've had a Premier Direct account.

Your belief that a bank would stop you withdrawing £10 from an ATM the day before a charge was due is, frankly, ridiculous. If they did this they would get thousands of complaints. It could be that you had a credit hitting the account the same day, ready to meet the cash withdrawal. It could be that you were going to spend your £10 in cash, then go home and transfer £10 online into your current account from your savings account. There are any number of scenarios why you should be allowed to withdraw those funds.

And as I've already said, you would already have been notified that you were due to pay the charges. You've even admitted this yourself - but just claim that the "due date" was blank. Here's a helpful suggestion - if you know £5 in charges is coming out, don't spend your last £5.

Reducing available funds 16 days before a fee is due is the same as charging the fee without notice - not an acceptable way to behave.

Strangely, banks expect their customers to read their e-mails and look at their statements, or to reap the consequences if they don't do so.

The debit card scenario is completely different - the available balance is reduced after you've spent the money to stop you spending it twice, not in anticipation of a future charge which you can legitimately fund the account to meet.
  • moneysavingchicken
    Options
    MarkyMark I disagree with a lot of your points and will fight A&L to the hilt on this charge. Once resolved I intend to close the accoutn and I will consider whether to apply for a new one after 3 months and claim the referral fee if I decide to do so. If they are going to rely on emails that so many people seem to receive they could at the very least configure the email to request an automated reciept to help ensure it arrived, and then send an automated text message if there is a problem.

In any event 5 quid per day for going over the limit by one quid iand a few s totally extortionate and unjustified. The cost to them isn't even a stamp and an envelope.

By the way, does A&L subsidize you in some way to compensate you for spending so much time and energy defending them and trying to make their customers beleive that any faults are due to themselves or their internet providors? Are you an evangelist for A&L?
  • borgbaiter
    borgbaiter Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Either you don't have a Premier Direct account (in which case you'll get paper statements, and don't need the e-mails) or you are getting the e-mails and some over-zealous junk mail filter is binning them for you.

Do tell more about your "fictional exceeding overdraft charge", but make sure you detail the dates of the transactions before and after. :)

"Payments out before payments in" is rubbish - you have to fund one business day before any payments out for A&L as for nearly every other bank, so the order of payments on a particular day is irrelevant.

hi

im a computer consultant i know how to filter email. i have NEVER recieved an email from A&L. i printed out the online statement in the morning and the evening and the order of payments was clearly altered.

i also bank with HSBC and have never been presented false balance available figures by them.

Borgbaiter
    claimed/settled - Natwest £2,535/£2,535, HSBC visa £80/£80, MBNA £1,258/£1,258, capital one £282/£282, tesco visa £515/£515, HSBC visa £140/£140. HSBC £1,450 MCOL Stayed for OFT case. Chelsea Mortgage charges & cashback £5000/£672. complaints with banks pending OFT Halifax £30, A&L £35. TOTALS £11,325/£5482
  • Heidim
    Heidim Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there I have asked Alliance and lecister for my bank charges back but.... They state that I have to wait for the test case to finish I have not heard back from them at all what should I do now please I have letters from them to state I must wait until the test case is finished.

Many Thanks

Heidi:confused:
  • Heidim
    Options
    HAve searched the site can't find any info so I hope someeone can help me cheers xx
  • Heidim
    Options
    does anyone know where i could go to find out at all ????
  • Heidim
    Options
    Hi there I have asked Alliance and lecister for my bank charges back but.... They state that I have to wait for the test case to finish I have not heard back from them at all what should I do now please I have letters from them to state I must wait until the test case is finished.

Many Thanks

Heidim xxxx:confused:
  • Heidim
    Options
    Thank you thats great so it is just the waiting game at the mo then xx
  • Pinzy
    Pinzy Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    You have to wait till the test case finishes.

Read
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/oft-bank-charges
    Your part sounds like it comes under "Will my reclaim continue?"
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business