Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Options

Comments

• nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How do I stand as i have not paid for these charges? Should I hold out and not pay until they refund them or should i pay them then go down the route of reclaiming the charges?

You usually don't get much choice about paying the charges. The bank will just take them from your account.

Sounds like you have started the process, so continue with sending letters to the bank using the templates. If you get to the court stage, the claim will most likely be stayed, so that's as far as you can go for now.

If they start getting heavy and demanding payments or trying to pass onto a debt collection agency, make it clear the debt is under dispute because of charges.
  • Debtgonner
    Options
    Help!

I have been attempting to close an Alliance and Leicester account for about a year now, trying to get info on bank charges in order to reclaim them...

About a month ago we got a snotty letter saying we needed to clear our overdraft before they could close the account approx £100, I sent the cheque and another letter requesting the list of charges on the account which also totals approx £100 if I remember correctly.

This morning I received our cheque back with a compliments slip and nothing else!!!

What is that all about? I can't get through on the phone because the account number no longer exists, and they didn't give us any numbers when they were threatening court!

We are going to write and ask them what is going on, but really wonder if this is their way of repaying the charges? Would have thought they needed to do a bit more than just send our cheque back with a compliments slip???

ta
  • big_chief_2
    Options
    I Have Paid The Money,my Account Is Up To Date.do I Put The Letter In To These People And Charge Them £5.00 Per Day,or Just Do It With 8%
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    Just to say ...
    Alliance & Leicester have sent me a letter to say I will be charged £5 per day for being £17 overdrawn without an overdraft
    Oh joy ... as I only get paid monthly,I will have 30 x £5 charges ...
    So for being £17 overdrawn ... I will be charged a total of £150 before I get paid again! :eek:
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • tom0407
    Options
    I would contact them and try and work something out, either that or borrow £17 off a mate and arrange an overdraft for next month. It costs like 50p or something if it's an authorised overdraft, and the world if it isn't. Good luck.
  • prison_break_fan
    Options
    Hi
    I'd like to claim back from Alliance and Leicester but I'm worried they will close my account. I have a poor credit score and have been turned down by other banks when appliying for a current account. I need to have a cheque book facility and am worried that if I try to get charges back from A & L they will close the account and I'll be in a bigger mess. Could really do with the money but can't see how I could cpe without the cheque book.

What do you wise people think?

Kristy
  • bushey_2
    Options
    Hi there,

just a quick question...A&L charges its customers £5 a day for every single day your account is overdrawn. For instance I was overdrawn by 15p (!!!) for about 14days and had to pay £120 for their crazy charge. Is there any way to try and reclaim that money or that also includes the case going on at the moment, so that kind of thing is on hold as well?

I would really appreciate your help and advice in that matter.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jacob
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    bushey
    wish I could help,but the same thing has happened to me!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • PhatDad
    PhatDad Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the hell is going on?

You might recall a recent number of posts I made regarding A&L.

I stopped using my account ages ago but didn't delete the card details from Amazon. I kept about £12 in the account in case anything unforeseen came out that I was not aware of.

This was fine for months until for some reason, whether it was human error or amazon themselves, used this account to pay for £13.14 worth of books. I was unaware of this and a month or two went by. Then I received a statement and I noticed that I was no £130 overdrawn.

I called them up told them to sort it and they removed the £130 as I was a good customer and had not gone overdrawn before. They also said they would close the account for me.

Wooohooo I thought, until I received a letter the other day to say that I had gone overdrawn in january and now will be charged for it.

I've contacted them again now to say that it was their charge for going overdrawn the previous month that made me overdrawn. And now they are charging me for going overdrawn this month I will get a charge for next month. Like a womans PMS this monthly cycle will happen repeatedly causing me stress, pain and rage. All I want is the account closing.

They've replied to say that I need to pay the charges first. This is driving me mad. If I knew where a local A&L was I'd go down there and do this face to face.
    In the spirit of gloating... you what... I can't gloat on this site anymore? Awww, how unfair. :(
  • doodlez1612
    Options
    Still no A&L joy. I rang back in week like they said and just got told by some snotty woman that it takes time and to wait. Now, despite paying £40 to get my account back into its allowed overdraft while the sort it all out to prevent getting more charges, I have been charged another £40 for 'exceeding' my overdraft limit (which i'll admit is true but only cos they falsly charged me in the first place). Hopeless. I shall have to moan at them again soon. :rolleyes:

Oh and I paid some money in the other day at the branch and was asked if i wanted to recommend a friend to get an incentive! What a joke! :rotfl:
    Since I wrote my last message I have discovered that in addition to the other errors they shouldn't have even charged me. Basically after the initial £5 charge, I set up my arranged overdraft (only £50 altho they offered more) and the charges they made following this were for 'exceeding' the agreed overdraft when I hadn't. I phoned them again to tell them that and spoke to someone with a few more braincells who said they'd send it to refund department and ring back in 3 days.
    So fingers crossed I'll have good news next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure