Bluetooth/laptop connection - the ex-mother in law is coming

New Post Advanced Search

Bluetooth/laptop connection - the ex-mother in law is coming

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 1.1K views
condykcondyk Forumite
282 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
The ex-mother in law is coming to UK for a year to work (she's South African). She won't have access to wired or wireless internet as she'll be moving around and staying with other people. I think she'd be better off using internet cafe's or local libraries for e-mails and web, but she's been told that she should get a laptop and connect via mobile phone.

She's not at all technically minded and I just think she'll spend all that money buying the stuff and then be calling me all the time to sort out her connections. However, if it's reliable and I set it up in advance then maybe it'll work. I need your experience here ...

So, I reckon she needs a bluetooth dongle for laptop, a bluetooth phone (you can get new Sony Ericsson T610's off ebay for £69, or similar decent models), a suitable SIM that will allow GPRS connection and then set it up so she just needs to click to connect.

So, a few questions:

1. How reliable, once set up, would this kind of connection be, or will it be a case of having lots of resetting up and troubleshooting? Based on experience preferably :-)

2. Is it realistic for her to seek this kind of solution and expect it to just work? Based on experience preferably :-)

3. Any one know of cheap recommended basic tariff's that allow for internet/data connection.

Any help appreciated as, unless it works, spending all that cash would be a shame when she probably can't really afford it given low South African salaries.

Dave

Dave

Replies

• andy88_2andy88_2
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a lot of money to spend if it's only for internet access. If it was someone that already had a laptop, well then maybe ... , but to buy a load of extra gear to carry around seems over the top.

I'm with you; cafes, libraries; and surely many of the friends she's staying with will have access. Mobile tariffs seem much higher

Still, you're asking for info about these, and I'm not helpful for that, so end of waffle
  • condykcondyk Forumite
    282 posts
    Andy88 wrote:
    I'm with you; cafes, libraries; and surely many of the friends she's staying with will have access. Mobile tariffs seem much higher

Part of problem is she's staying in UK as a 'care assistant' so living with an old person and taking care of them. She's not allowed to use their phone or internet. Also, she can use their car to ferry them around but she's a bit scared of driving so probably can't get to library or cafe too often if more than a walk away!

Laptop/mobile is a good solution ... but only if it works reliably and easily for a technophobe tho!!
  • fatboyonadietfatboyonadiet Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try a 3G data card, probably a lot cheaper and less technical problems, just plugs into your laptop and works in a wireless fashion. Need to check out prices and tariffs and providers, it all differs, but think Voda tend to come out the cheapest
    2p off is still 2p off!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support