We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange say I can't take my number to another Orange provider!

I have spent a month looking for the new phone that I want, at the right price. I made several calls to Orange to barter and negotiate, but they won't budge on the phone (they quoted me £80 to pay for the phone). The contract I want, through a 3rd party has a FREE phone on the same tarrif.

When I called up to tell Orange I want to give my 30 days' notice (I'm out of contract) they said I can't take my phone number with me. Is this true/legal/fair?
«1

Comments

  • narika
    narika Posts: 208 Forumite
    if you want to keep the same number for a new orange contract do it this way.

    1. call orange and ask for your PAC code
    2. Get a payg sim of any provided OTHER THAN ORANGE, usually free if you order it over internet or else pop into a 99p store or their likes to get one (say tmobile)
    3. Call the payg service provider and give them the orange PAC code
    4. a day or two later call the PAYG service provider and ask for the PAC code
    5. PAC code on the step4 above, take it to the new Orange contract and give it to them.

    this is the most simple and easiest way to do it.
  • Liam002
    Liam002 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Narika is right. You need to get the PAC code from Orange.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,529
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I did the indirect method described by narika when trying to go from O2 to another O2 contract and used an Asda sim as the middle man....oh who am I trying to kid........sorry but I have to say this....you did not BARTER with Orange Jay_bee!!!
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    thor wrote: »
    I did the indirect method described by narika when trying to go from O2 to another O2 contract and used an Asda sim as the middle man....oh who am I trying to kid........sorry but I have to say this....you did not BARTER with Orange Jay_bee!!!

    You didn't need to do that. O2 are quite happy to transfer your number to a new third party contract. I think they are the only network to do this.
  • Techhead wrote: »
    You didn't need to do that. O2 are quite happy to transfer your number to a new third party contract. I think they are the only network to do this.

    Hi Techhead, thanks for this. I want to move from CPW to Tesco and keep my O2 number. Would I have to phone O2 to arrange this?

    Thanks

    > :D Catweazle :D <
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Catweazle wrote: »
    Hi Techhead, thanks for this. I want to move from CPW to Tesco and keep my O2 number. Would I have to phone O2 to arrange this?

    Thanks

    You need to contact 02 and ask for a PAC code.

    Once you get it you tell it to Tesco who move the number. However the PAC Code has to be used in 30 days, or your contract continues and the PAC is invalid.

    If you have not hit the mimimum term (be that 12/18/24 months) with O2 they will most likely charge you a termination fee on leaving. Also by using the PAC code you are effectibvly cancelling the contract, you my have to pay 30 days extra in lieu of notice.
  • gjchester wrote: »
    You need to contact 02 and ask for a PAC code.

    Once you get it you tell it to Tesco who move the number. However the PAC Code has to be used in 30 days, or your contract continues and the PAC is invalid.

    If you have not hit the mimimum term (be that 12/18/24 months) with O2 they will most likely charge you a termination fee on leaving. Also by using the PAC code you are effectibvly cancelling the contract, you my have to pay 30 days extra in lieu of notice.

    Thanks for the info gjchester. I don't want to terminate my existing contract early just move it to Tesco when it comes to and end on 24th February.

    > :D Catweazle :D <
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Catweazle wrote: »
    Thanks for the info gjchester. I don't want to terminate my existing contract early just move it to Tesco when it comes to and end on 24th February.


    You can't do that as such.

    First your contract doesn't end, you simply hit the end of the mimimum term and you go to a 30 day rolling contract.

    If you ask for a cancellation then you get a set date, but if you ask for a PAC that overrides the cancellation. The line has to be active and not in a pending cancel state for the PAC code to work. If you don;t use the PAC it reverts to the 30 day rolling contract.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Some third parties (such as CPW, Phones4U etc) can also upgrade, so you might find you can just do it that way.
  • thor wrote: »
    I did the indirect method described by narika when trying to go from O2 to another O2 contract and used an Asda sim as the middle man....oh who am I trying to kid........sorry but I have to say this....you did not BARTER with Orange Jay_bee!!!

    Actually I DID barter with Orange through 5 separate phone calls, and I think it's a bit unfair for you to say that. If you can get them to not charge for an HTC Desire HD and to give it to you for £20 per month, then good for you, but I brought them down and down and down, but they wouldn't budge on asking £70 for the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.