🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where Is 18866 / 1899 ? Gone For Good?

Options

Comments

• Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    Long live Switzerland..
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    18866 and its sister businesses seem to have lots of trouble of this sort. Best to sign up with cheal unrelated services, such as One-Tel.

Nobody should use 18866 at the weekend for calls to UK numbers, when One-Tel's override service provides free calls at the weekend (for nil rental). You also get a free directory enquiry service with One-tel.

The One-Tel Leisuretime package offers, in addition, free UK evening calls (6pm - 8am) on weekdays, with no rental for one year.

Also if you sign-up online you will get £20 of call credit - better still go via Greasy Palm and you get and extra £12.50p from them too.

And, when you become a customer, then recommend a friend and you will get another £20 of call credit.

In addition you can, in some cases, get free calls to mobiles as well!
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    That was the first time since I joined these two brilliant sisters that I had any problem of this or any other sort and I still think it was BT's fault as the hardware provider. Keep up the good work and our support will remain relentless.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • syenom
    Options
    i am using 18866
    it was ok for while
    now iam being charged 21 p min
    although when i phone
    i am told its 2p a min when i phone greece
    sent them a email
    no reply
  • syenom
    Options
    i am using 18866
    for a while now
    they are charging me 21p a min
    ut when i phone greece
    before dialling it says 2 p min
    anyone else have this prob
    its ok for uk calls
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    syenom wrote:
    i am using 18866
    for a while now
    they are charging me 21p a min
    ut when i phone greece
    before dialling it says 2 p min
    anyone else have this prob
    its ok for uk calls

For Greece try the following, all at 1p per minute from BT lines:

08447202020 at 1p on RateBuster
    0844 861 52 52 at 1p on Telesavers
    0844 861 13 13 at 1p on CheapestCalls
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm only signed up with 1899 for cheap calls at the moment (also have TalkTalk on a BT line) but didn't realise I was paying a 3p connection fee for each of my "free" landline calls :eek:

My main phone usage is to call other landlines and mobiles (no internationall calls) so would I be better off trying one of the other services, and if so, which one?

Is One-Tel similar to TalkTalk and would I have to switch from one to the other? I don't mind doing that if One-Tel is cheaper as TalkTalk have annoyed me recently anyway ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do so many of you want to blame BT for someone else's problem? It crashed for about 2 hours; it's not a conspiracy

Curry Queen 18866 would be 1p connect for UK landlines. 1899 will be better for UK mobiles.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Andy, I've been reading the other threads in the forum since I last posted so things are becoming a little clearer to me now. At the moment I'm on Talk1 with TalkTalk but I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will put me onto Talk1+ to get the free evening/weekend calls, although I'm still tempted to try One-Tel just to get the £32-50 ;)

So far I've held off signing up to 18866 as I'd read somewhere that their call charges and connection fee had increased, but having just checked their website it seems it's still 1p per min connection charge. I'm sure I read somewhere that it had gone up to 4p :confused:

Would there be any circumstances that I might want to over-ride TalkTalk (or One-tel if I switch) to use BT for a call? (Just discovered I can dial 1280 to charge it to BT :rolleyes: )

All these different calling charges get so confusing, and even moreso when trying to get the kids to use the correct codes too :lol:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not expert on either One-Tel or Talktalk, though might go for one in the end.

Check their tariffs for 0845 and 0870 numbers; BT may be the cheapest for these; on the other hand if you get that free calls credit, you've got to spend it on something ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport