"Finally cracked a 600 score at Scrabble! Hoorah." Blog discussion

Replies

• MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    Martin, with those sorts of scores and averages, you should certainly be playing in a Scrabble club and / or one of the tournaments held every weekend around the country - then you would get an ABSP rating to see where you stand nationally.

Moneysaving tip - pick your tournaments carefully, and you'll hoover up quite a few quid in prize money from the lower divisions before the ratings officer catches up with you and puts you in with the big boys.

We're always pleased to see "celebs" at our events, we had Alastair McGowan playing in one recently.

Sounds very scary - im not used to playing on a timer and only play against Mrs MSE.... don't know how it'd be
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Sounds very scary - im not used to playing on a timer and only play against Mrs MSE.... don't know how it'd be

Only one way to find out.
  • Don't be scared, us scrabble players are generally very welcoming to new players. People will tend to remind you to press your clock etc and. Tournaments are a lot of fun (o:

It sounds like the two of you are both good players - why not try one of the one day tournaments together? (I'm ranked around 250th in the country and I've only once scored 600.)
  • CyCo_2CyCo_2 Forumite
    288 Posts
    I just had a look at the absp with the intention of find out more. But for some reason the north-west doesn't look to have anything going on?
  • CyCo wrote: »
    I just had a look at the absp with the intention of find out more. But for some reason the north-west doesn't look to have anything going on?

If you mean the north-west of England then there's usually a weekend tournament in Carlisle every year (last year's event was late September). Typically events can appear on the calendar anything from 2 months to 18 months in advance. Up to about the end of June is already packed, only December tends to stay quiet. So keep having a look as there'll be many more events added.

I've been meaning to investigate having a tournament in the Lake District myself, but not gotten around to it yet. Something like January in the Lake District (Windermere) is a natural fit for a multi-day holiday tournament because you can get a decent price with a block booking in a quiet period. You still have up til about 4pm to explore (I was there end of January and got great weather), then everything shuts and it gets dark, then you play Scrabble. That's the theory anyway.

For the north-west of Scotland there'll be a one day event somewhere along the line, although it'll be a bit of a trek.

There should also be some hints/tips appearing on the ABSP site in the not too distant future. Had intended to get these included with the website revamp.
  • CyCo_2CyCo_2 Forumite
    288 Posts
    Carlisle is still a hell of a trip for a Scrabble tourney though, are there none held near Preston/Liverpool/Manchester?
  • There's usually one in Cheadle, late October. There's very likely to be one in Chester next year in late January - that's quite a traditional and popular one.

Southport and Lytham St Annes sometimes have holiday tournaments, but doesn't look like there'll be anything for a while at least.

Warrington has a pretty big club if you want to try that out. You will probably find it easier to go along to a club first anyway. Plus if you get friendly you can always get a lift to one of the events outside your area. Yarnfield for instance generally hosts the ABSP's flagship event (the BMSC) which gets around 150+ attendees and sometimes has a new player event or similar.
  • CyCo_2CyCo_2 Forumite
    288 Posts
    Ah ok, I'll bear that in mind then. Thanks :)
  • edited 11 February 2011 at 10:15PM
    mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 February 2011 at 10:15PM
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    ... and only play against Mrs MSE....

You definitely need a wider range of opponents. I rarely play anyone except my mate Del, and I know that I can get away with certain things.

For example, I know I could play a word with a view to extending it later, making a word he won't know. He won't therefore spot the opportunity, so I have good odds that it's safe and will score big if I get the right letter combination. You can only do that if you know someone's gameplay very well. You can't risk that against an unknown opponent.

I used to be able to slide the odd nonsense word in too (in times of desperation), in the hope that he wouldn't challenge. This works especially well if you're making about 4 words, and the main one's a bit unusual. He'd challenge the main one, find out it's ok, and forget the rest. However, this no longer works because he's been stitched up once too often. Anything remotely suspect gets challenged, without exception. :rotfl:

I think the worst thing I ever did to him was this:

I had a good set of letters, and was convinced there should be a 7-letter play: spotted it and played SARGEANT. I'd barely finished putting the tiles down when I realised what I'd done :o, but it was too late to change it. He thought: :think: "Sarge (as it might be shortened to in a comic or some such); Sargeant, yeah, it's probably an ok variant". He didn't challenge, so the error stood. A few turns later, he pluralised it when playing another word. I challenged it and made him pick his letters up and miss a go. :o :rotfl:

I get away with precious little these days. :D

I'd be well-pleased with a score of 600, well done. :T At least you didn't have to make up words like "delinked" :whistle:

I'm still languishing on 537, although my best score for a single word is 212 (BREEZIL[Y] on 2x TWS). :p

If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyCo wrote: »
    Not really, I've scored a fair few 9 letter words, a few 10 and 11 and even one 12 letter word: mongolianism

Err...correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not a permissible word in Scrabble. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides