"Finally cracked a 600 score at Scrabble! Hoorah." Blog discussion

Replies

• CharisCharis Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It seems you are using a post-2004 version of the game, Super Scrabble, which has twice as many tiles as the older UK versions. There's only one 'Z' in every other version of scrabble which uses the alphabet that we use. The Afrikaans version has no 'Z' at all. Twice as many tiles will give you quite an advantage :D. Source of information, Wikipedia.
  • CyCo wrote: »
    Not really, I've scored a fair few 9 letter words, a few 10 and 11 and even one 12 letter word: mongolianism

But I guess a lot of it is down to luck, not only the tiles you have in your rack, but also the positions of the letters already on the board.

A 12 letter word.
    Although you say it is luck - and I would agree that some is needed - you still have to be able to spot it.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    CyCo wrote: »
    Not really, I've scored a fair few 9 letter words, a few 10 and 11 and even one 12 letter word: mongolianism

But I guess a lot of it is down to luck, not only the tiles you have in your rack, but also the positions of the letters already on the board.

WOW! What was on the board that you joined, did you get a bingo with it or were you just adding the ism?
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • We play Scrabble every Sunday and keep records of our scores too. Have never cracked 600. My highest score is 523, and his is 485. Our highest combined score is 922, back in April 2008. Travel Scrabble always goes with us on holiday, but we disagree on which set. I like the flat board with little tiles with 4 feet (old style) whereas he prefers the plastic chunky one that folds in half. Which one do you use, Martin?
  • CyCo_2CyCo_2 Forumite
    288 Posts
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    WOW! What was on the board that you joined, did you get a bingo with it or were you just adding the ism?

Nope, no bingo for it, I just added the -ism

I did get the bingo for playing mongolian in the first place though :D
  • As no one I know plays Scrabble with me (because I nearly always win) I thought I would share with you all my best victories...sadly nearly all online!

A player quit on me once because he blocked the right hand side above the center triple with the word AMA and I replied with TEURISH to make AMATEURISH. Was over the moon...as I am sure other Scrabblers can relate to. Although luck is important, as Martin said, rack management results in good letters to use for such lucky happenings as a good hooking opportunity.

My best score was against a bot - so perhaps I wouldn't have had the same chance against an experienced player. They exposed the top row with a letter (E) in between two triple word score squares and a played FLECKING and got 239 points (I think). Not too shabby when before the E played I had only one vowel that I wanted to save with the NG to make an ING - and was looking to dump the F or K somewhere!

Scrabble rocks!!!

Would LOVE to play more often but I now use a netbook since my PC expired and my Facebook Scrabble app is not its friend - can't seem to play on it as it won't fit on the screen or scroll! I miss it! I have to play other less fun word games in moments of boredom!
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • this is one way of keeping intouch with your family, we use the Wordfeud on Android phones to play our Scrabble
  • Congrats Martin. Always nice to achieve those landmarks. Sounds like you and your wife are playing to a pretty good standard going by the combined average scores. Move average is probably the best gauge of skill if you wanted to compare your general level of play with a wider audience.

You're certainly not alone in keeping detailed stats of your games. I can think of a number of club/tournament players who are playing many hundreds of games a year and keep note of averages, bonuses, how many blanks/Ss they picked (to try and gauge luck), head-to-heads (having played 100s of different opponents), all sorts of things.

With regards to bonuses (bingos is regarded as an American term) you tend to get more 8s than 7s played if you have two world class players (people bonus more and the games become more wide open and flowing so there are usually more floaters), but otherwise you'll get far more 7s played as bonuses. Generally speaking 7s are easier to spot than 8s so this comes into things as well. You only have one combination of 7 letters to look at, but therec can sometimes be half a dozen letters or more you can play through, some which may only appear after your opponent plays. Also the more letters the more to anagram obviously.

Craig, UK National Scrabble Champion 2009
  • bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martin, with those sorts of scores and averages, you should certainly be playing in a Scrabble club and / or one of the tournaments held every weekend around the country - then you would get an ABSP rating to see where you stand nationally.

Moneysaving tip - pick your tournaments carefully, and you'll hoover up quite a few quid in prize money from the lower divisions before the ratings officer catches up with you and puts you in with the big boys.

We're always pleased to see "celebs" at our events, we had Alastair McGowan playing in one recently.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 55, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • I agree with Bargepole, do have a look at www.absp.org.uk and see if you fancy going along to any of the tournaments or your local club - we're all friendly (o:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News