"Finally cracked a 600 score at Scrabble! Hoorah." Blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• RabbitMad
    RabbitMad Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    I think you mean you average is 398 not 298 as it was 391 back when you played reverned to score 156 in a single go
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    so come on then - best score for Mrs MSE?
    average?
    Wins for her versus wins for you?
    highest numer of games in a week etc - we need full stats :)

Sadly I was wondering what had happened to the 'old' Martin - thinking we never get any scrabble thoughts nowadays or anything about sushi or coupon using or anything like that :) - yes I know sad isn't it.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1697533

Honour is shared, apparently.

[FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]"Our results suggest that male chess players choose significantly riskier strategies when playing against an attractive female opponent, although this does not improve their performance. Women’s strategies are not affected by the attractiveness of the opponent. [/FONT]"
  • For anybody who doesn't fancy scrabble why not try Triple Yahtzee. This is to Yahtzee what Bridge is to Snap. And you can use old score sheets.

Just play Yahtzee as normal but instead of using one column use three. The first column's score is x1, the second column's total score is x2 and the third column x3.

It's deceptively full of strategy. Do you try to get all three bonuses at the top or would you get more points if you loaded the third column with more number at the top. Where should I put that 5|5|5|5|4? Go for a 20 at the top or a middle column 4 of a kind?

Have fun!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RabbitMad wrote: »
    I think you mean you average is 398 not 298 as it was 391 back when you played reverned to score 156 in a single go

Correct - thanks for that I've changed it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    so come on then - best score for Mrs MSE?
    average?
    Wins for her versus wins for you?
    highest numer of games in a week etc - we need full stats :)

Sadly I was wondering what had happened to the 'old' Martin - thinking we never get any scrabble thoughts nowadays or anything about sushi or coupon using or anything like that :) - yes I know sad isn't it.
    df

Mrs MSE's best is a rocking 525 and she's been over 500 five times.

I win around 2 to 1 which is what you'd expect with a 35 odd point gap in the average - but I've been playing longer - its very competitive though.

I think we're both as good at word creating as each other. The difference is (if you pardon the phrase) I manage my rack better - and manage to hold onto letters which are good for bingos more than Mrs. MSE. It's a slight margin but I think its that which just gives me the edge.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Don't shout at me for going off topic:o...............me and the OH do Pop Master on BBC radio 2 and most days I am the Pop Master.:D

Well done on the Scrabble score Martin.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • CautiousWithMoney
    CautiousWithMoney Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2011 at 7:55PM
    Martin, do you have an iPhone and play WordsWithFriends? If so add me - Crankit

That goes for anyone else that fancies a game too!
  • I like scrabble too but I've never kept a record of the scores.
    I only play maybe 8 - 10 times a year and usually three or four handed so that keeps the scores down a bit.
    Good fun though.
    I've even played that other version with different rules. I don't like it as much but it's still good fun anyway.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We all get our kicks somewhere and if Scrabble is Mr and Mrs MSE's then be proud and hold your head high!

Nerdy, prattish and sad are not what I'm currently thinking, I'm thinking I'm glad a married couple enjoy having fun together.

And also am reminded how Mr Byl has giving up playing Scrabble with me as he hates being constantly beaten...
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport