Fine for having your feet up!

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whether there was a sign up or not, you're not trying to tell us Op that your student friend didn't know that someone would come along after he had gone and want to sit down. Would you still think he's hard done to if it had been an expensive dress of yours that got covered in mud on your way out one evening.
    Well done Merseyrail.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Lawpf2001
    Options
    Wow lots of hate coming this way :)

Obviously I don't think its ok to put your feet up on seats, but it seems to me like an easy way of making a quick buck out of a situation that could have been handled differently. On the other hand cleaning trains isnt free and they need to recoup costs somehow. However, I can't say I have ever been on a clean train always seems to be litter and debris everywhere.

General concensus seems to be pay the fine and learn from it or give them a call and see if anything could be agreed.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lawpf2001 wrote: »
    Wow lots of hate coming this way :)

Obviously I don't think its ok to put your feet up on seats, but it seems to me like an easy way of making a quick buck out of a situation that could have been handled differently. On the other hand cleaning trains isnt free and they need to recoup costs somehow. However, I can't say I have ever been on a clean train always seems to be litter and debris everywhere.

General concensus seems to be pay the fine and learn from it or give them a call and see if anything could be agreed.

There seems to be a lot of hatred towards this friend of yours Lawpf2001....but be honest here, who actually received the fine? You or your 'friend'? Your last post has no mention of him and in another thread you mention that you are a student yourself. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2954822&highlight=

;)

:)
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Lawpf2001
    Options
    Am I not allowed to be a student and have student friends? I'm personally down in Bristol whilst he is up in Liverpool.
  • pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Obviously I don't think its ok to put your feet up on seats, but it seems to me like an easy way of making a quick buck out of a situation that could have been handled differently.

How could it have been handled differently. Common courtesy obviously indicates that you don't do it. Signs all over the place on Merseyrail trains and elsewhere ask you not to do it. Clearly none of that made sufficient impact on your friend. So what would have done?
  • karlie88
    Options
    Am I not allowed to be a student and have student friends? I'm personally down in Bristol whilst he is up in Liverpool.

maybe you were visiting your friend? ;)
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Lawpf2001
    Lawpf2001 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest I think a warning and a telling off would have sufficed. But obviously the operators have the right to enforce a penalty so that's fine as he shouldn't have been doing it in the first place. I think train operators should sort out other problems with their service. Saying that though they obviously see it as a big problem that they need to sort out.
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    I live in the area and there are signs everywhere about this, as well as tannoy announcements by the robotic lady voice they use on merseyrail!

I don't think the fine is too heavy, after all your friend will never do this again now will they?
  • Lawpf2001
    Lawpf2001 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    maybe you were visiting your friend? ;)

It wasn't me! The incident with the feet actually happened 2 months ago. But he put a post up on facebook saying how he had just received the penalty notice.
  • karlie88
    Options
    It wasn't me! The incident with the feet actually happened 2 months ago. But he put a post up on facebook saying how he had just received the penalty notice.

OK fair enough....I'll stop now. :)

As the above person has mentioned, let's hope they don't do it again! It does annoy me when people do this though, the site of the worn out seat is not plesant...but when trains are packed people have to sit on it!

p.s. have a look at your isa thread...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure