Are Primus trying to rip me off?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 31 March 2011 at 5:24PM
    Update 31 March 2011.

An official on the Primus Saver forum has confirmed that Primus no longer offer any CPS calls plans for new subscribers (those already on them are, at the moment, unaffected) and that service depends on handing over line rental too (not recommended).

[STRIKE]Not being able to find anything on their website, I have just phoned Primus (0800 036 0094) to establish whether they are still offering Carrier Pre-Select (CPS) calls packages for residential customers with a BT landline (i.e. paying line rental to BT).

The answer was that they still offer 2 packages:

1. Primus Saver Option 2 (a name familiar to many on here from 2005/6 I expect). That plan gives free calls of up to 90 minutes each to UK 01/02/03 numbers weekday evenings/nights and at weekends for no monthly charge.

2. Primus Saver Max. That gives 'free' calls of up to 90 minutes each to UK 01/02/03 numbers at any time for £5.99/month (£1 more expensive than BT's Unlimited Anytime Plan and does not include 0845/0870 calls but allowable call length 50% more).

A 12 month contract applies to both of the above.

The explanation as to why these plans are not detailed on the website was that they are no longer offered 'proactively' but I was assured they are both available to callers who ask!

Unfortunately, Penny Mobile 2 CPS is no longer on offer for new provision.[/STRIKE]
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • :j

Hurrah !

After nothing at all from Primus, Homephone Choices were excellent replying very quickly to my emails, and checking direct with Primus.

They do charge a month's line rental in advance, hence it is £7.99 plus the part month from the switch date to the first billing date.

Will still keep an eye on future bills, and still unimpressed with Primus non response
  • Heinz wrote: »
    Not being able to find anything on their website, I have just phoned Primus (0800 036 0094) to establish whether they are still offering Carrier Pre-Select (CPS) calls packages for residential customers with a BT landline (i.e. paying line rental to BT).

The answer was that they still offer 2 packages:

1. Primus Saver Option 2 (a name familiar to many on here from 2005/6 I expect). That plan gives free calls of up to 90 minutes each to UK 01/02/03 numbers weekday evenings/nights and at weekends for no monthly charge.

2. Primus Saver Max. That gives 'free' calls of up to 90 minutes each to UK 01/02/03 numbers at any time for £5.99/month (£1 more expensive than BT's Unlimited Anytime Plan and does not include 0845/0870 calls but allowable call length 50% more).

A 12 month contract applies to both of the above.

The explanation as to why these plans are not detailed on the website was that they are no longer offered 'proactively' but I was assured they are both available to callers who ask!

Unfortunately, Penny Mobile 2 CPS is no longer on offer.

Heinz correct me if im wrong but i think those fortunate souls who already have penny mobile still have it?
    A fool and their money are easily parted.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    coolsteel wrote: »
    Heinz correct me if im wrong but i think those fortunate souls who already have penny mobile still have it?
    Yes (well, I do at least).

Perhaps I should have said no longer on offer for new provision.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bearpeje
    bearpeje Posts: 26 Forumite
    :(

I obviously spoke way too soon.

Mother in Law's latest invoice went on the site today. Expecting £7.99 this time for the full month,

Oh no, £10.80 incl 28p call charges !

I have emailed them and Homephone Choices again, and will let you know.
  • It seem suspiciously close to £2.50 (7.99 +2.5= 10.49) Primus's fee for one added line feature.

If any one of these chargeable features were on the line during migration then it maybe still active.

Call Barring £2.50 Prevent your phone from making specified outgoing calls
    Call Divert £2.50 Choose to have calls diverted to another number anywhere
    Call Waiting £2.50 Tells you when someone is trying to get through to you
    Caller Display £2.50 See who is calling you before you answer
    Ring Back £2.50 Automatic call back from an engaged number
    Three Way Calling £2.50 Chat with two friends at the same time

http://www.primussaver.co.uk/call-features.html
  • bearpeje
    bearpeje Posts: 26 Forumite
    Thanks Short Seller.

You were right. Primus came back with breakdown, and were charging for Caller Id.

Mother in Law didn't realise she had it with previous supplier so it carried over to Primus.

Now have no problem with their billing, but wish I could say the same about their customer service

:beer:
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    coolsteel wrote: »
    I still have
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had this same issue with Caller ID - they said it had migrated from the previous supplier. However this is my first line rental contract since moving home!

Anyway, that was irrelevant as I still had the email they sent me when I signed up which showed all the caller options I had selected and Caller ID was not one of them, nor was there any mention of the fact they would charge me for "inherited" options. I forwarded it back to them with a request for a refund.

They agreed to refund me for all Caller ID charges. Worth a try if you have been stung too?
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • Smedley
    Smedley Posts: 257 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I know this thread is a a bit older but it is still relevant.

People, CHECK YOUR PRIMUS BILL!

I queried my Primus bill; I was not clear what and how services were being charged.

After about a week of waiting for a response to my email, Primus informed me that I had been charged £2.50 a month for an inherited caller ID service from my previous supplier.

I informed them that they are in breach of contract.
    1) I had only agreed to monthly services costing £7.99 (apart from calls)
    2) I was unable to receive the caller ID service for the whole of my Primus contract

I am awaiting a response (they do not have the quickest customer service), I am still waiting for a refund.
    Because the responses were so slow, I decided to signe up to the "'Post Office Anytime' deal and cancelled my Primus contract.

I will let you know if I get a refund.
    SW loss= 15.5kg / 2st 6.2lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family