£25 hobbs gift card with Red magazine

Options

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Have sent a pm with a link to this page :)
  • me4bargains
    me4bargains Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    Options
    That is utterly and completely outrageous.
    But I think there probably is a loophole where Hobbs can do what the hell they want.
    If anyone from Hobbs HO is reading this thread just remember the Hoover fiasco in 1992 and what it did for their reputation!
    Third time lucky on WW I hope :j
    January: 13st 11lb :eek:, February: 13st 2.5lb, March: 12st 13lb, April: 12st 10.5lb, May: 12st 2lb, June: 12st 1lb, July: 12st 1lb, August: 11st 11lb, September: 11st 10.5lb, October: 11st 12.5lb, Currently 11st 8lb
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Hi all,

We're going to take a look at this and we'll come back and update you here.

Thanks

MSE Archna
  • happygolucky64
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post, thought I would Look on here after my experience at Guildford Hobbs today. I tried on a pair of jeans and a top intending to use my gift card, the jeans didn't fit so I just took the top to the till it was 35.00. As soon as I got my red gift card out the lady serving me said ooh I don't think I can accept that for a top and called another assistant over. She said they had brought in there own disclaimer and the gift cards could no longer be used on tops, I stood my ground and said the terms and conditions didn't state that and legally they couldn't do that, she said they could and she would get the manager for me. The other assistant said that the promotion hadn't gone as expected and they were running out of tops! The other assistant then came back and said she had spoke to the manager who said on this occasion they would accept the gift card but legally they were entitled to change the terms and conditions. I think I have been lucky and it was definitely worth standing my ground. I honestly can't see how they can do this, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
  • frankietwospots
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post, thought I would Look on here after my experience at Guildford Hobbs today. I tried on a pair of jeans and a top intending to use my gift card, the jeans didn't fit so I just took the top to the till it was 35.00. As soon as I got my red gift card out the lady serving me said ooh I don't think I can accept that for a top and called another assistant over. She said they had brought in there own disclaimer and the gift cards could no longer be used on tops, I stood my ground and said the terms and conditions didn't state that and legally they couldn't do that, she said they could and she would get the manager for me. The other assistant said that the promotion hadn't gone as expected and they were running out of tops! The other assistant then came back and said she had spoke to the manager who said on this occasion they would accept the gift card but legally they were entitled to change the terms and conditions. I think I have been lucky and it was definitely worth standing my ground. I honestly can't see how they can do this, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Well done you for standing your ground!
  • Libra1975
    Options
    As much as we don't like this I would be very surprised if Hobbs didn't get legal advice before they changed the T&Cs and therefore there will be very little that can be done.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Legalities aside, if the intention of the promotion was to attract new customers and raise Hobbs's profile, then they have a major PR disaster on their hands. The offer has been promoted all over the internet as well as heavily by RED magazine who feature Hobbs frequently. Although the card has a disclaimer saying Red has no liability towards customers, it can't help but be a disaster for them and the future credibility of their 'offers'.

Interestingly a google search brings up a mention of the offer in Redonline's regular column "Life's Rosie" for 22 Feb , but the current webpage seems to have had the reference removed....
  • Milesmum
    Options
    Hello all, this is my first post but I felt compelled to comment. I am a regular customer at my Hobbs store in Leeds, in fact I spent £300 there in January and another £200 last week (admittedly a lot of it will be returned but the point remains!). Today my husband tried to redeem the 'Red' voucher to get me a top for my birthday as he knows I love Hobbs and we were told the same as everyone else, offer not valid on tops!!! I can't see how they can do this just 'as of today' and the pure snobbery of it means I will now be returning all the items I bought last week as well. There is a recession on and I'm sure plenty of other shops will be more than happy to accept our custom, offer or no offer. PR disaster for Hobbs methinks, perhaps they underestimate the power of forums like these? Lets hope Martin can get it sorted for us.
  • tevangelynne
    Options
    It doesnt state anywhere in the small print we reserve the rights to change the terms and conditions :j
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    OMG!!!!

I have four cards left in my purse - I was waiting for the new stock to come in as the cards are valid until May! I don't (and never would read Red Magazine - so that's £14.40 out of pocket I will be).

I love the tops I've had so far and loved the experience I had in store when I was invited back to come and see the new stock by the lovely sales staff (who encouraged me to buy more vouchers!)

Surely to goodness they must have counted the number of cards printed, and worked out that most people would use them on low priced items????

There are zillions of Red Magazines available for sale around my area at the moment, and I could easily buy another 20 if I wanted - I wonder if Red did a publication re-run based on its initial success.

I hope this can be sorted swiftly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport