Anyone know of companies that will remove old insulation and re-insulate lofts

Options
I know there are several companies offering the govt subsidised loft inuslation at the moment but has anyone used one that will remove old insulation at the same time?

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's pointless removing old insulation, the norm is to top it up by laying the new over the top.
    Removing the old is a filthy and time-consuming operation, if you want that done you'd have to do it yourself first, or pay someone else to.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wensleydale
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    It's pointless removing old insulation, the norm is to top it up by laying the new over the top.
    Removing the old is a filthy and time-consuming operation, if you want that done you'd have to do it yourself first, or pay someone else to.
    But unfortunately the old stuff has been ripped up in parts by electricians etc so is no longer even- I think that re-laying it would take longer than taking it out.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't have to be even, just push it back into place and lay the new stuff over. if you think removing it is easy, lift a small section and see the decades of dirt/dust that will be underneath.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As macman says, there is no point trying to remove the old stuff. Had mine done with new thick insulation over the top of the very old stuff. Doesn't matter if it's not even - all you'll get is harmless gaps beneath the new insulation. Different case if you're thinking of also flooring the loft, otherwise just lay the new stuff on top of what is there. Just be careful of covering any heavy duty power feeds, like electric showers. Those cables can get a little warm when in use, especially if nicely insulated! Lighting circuits are generally OK if fairly modern as they should be protected by an appropriate fuse or breaker - just check that the cabling is in good condition before covering it. Don't cover any recessed ceiling lights, unless they are in special housings that can tolerate being covered.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is justifiable if you want to do preventative wood worm spraying.

I had all the old fibre glass removed, so I had all the timber exposed.
    I vacuumed with a Henry (best for cramped loft), and then got the wood preserving people in. It seems to be just a solution, as opposed to fumigation, so you don't have to stay away for days.

This is probably the first time that loft got cleaned in 60 years,
    so I did it properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family