Steel/multifuel burners

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
5 replies 743 views
Bodysnatcher1Bodysnatcher1 Forumite
4 Posts
following on from my previous post can anybody that knows about the construction of stoves tell me roughly how thick a steel plate the fire box should be made out of and are convection stoves (ie a stove with a seperate outercasing round the fire box) any better or worse at heating than normal stoves. Thanks Alastair

Replies

• weldawelda Forumite
    600 Posts
    following on from my previous post can anybody that knows about the construction of stoves tell me roughly how thick a steel plate the fire box should be made out of and are convection stoves (ie a stove with a seperate outercasing round the fire box) any better or worse at heating than normal stoves. Thanks Alastair

My stove is made from 6mm steel plate all round, doors, bottom door, which incorporates bottom aire vent and, where I access ash pan are made from cast iron. All very well put together. Around side wall and rear wall there are firebricks.

Not sure what you mean "seperate outer casing" unless you mean a boiler stove?

You thinking about making one?

:beer:
  • Most decent stoves use 5mm minimum. Lids and bases are usually 10mm. Cheap stove can be as little as 2mm.

Convector stoves (with the separate outer skin) are generally better at heating larger rooms but I don't think there's much in it. Usually they can be place closer to combustible materials due to the secondary skin.
  • edited 30 January 2011 at 10:15PM
    weldawelda Forumite
    600 Posts
    edited 30 January 2011 at 10:15PM
    crphillips wrote: »
    Most decent stoves use 5mm minimum. Lids and bases are usually 10mm. Cheap stove can be as little as 2mm.

Convector stoves (with the separate outer skin) are generally better at heating larger rooms but I don't think there's much in it. Usually they can be place closer to combustible materials due to the secondary skin.

Yup correct, just stuck the calipers on the lid, which is 10mm, I assume base the same? Main wrap looks like 6mm, stoves on at the mo, cant get the calipers on to main wrap. I reckon design will give stove that extra strength and integrity, I shudder to think how long a 2mm even 3mm stove would last with constant winter use!!

Do fire bricks do same as having a double skin, seems an extra cost to have near enough same benefits as a single skin?

:beer:
  • THANKS for the replies, that was just the information I was looking for. So if the stove I'm looking at has a 5mm thick firebox (fully lined with firebricks/ board) and a 4mm outer skin, made for convection, it can't be to bad?
  • Kinda........the quality of a stove isn't just down to one thing though.......it's a collection of everything.......you can have heavy stoves that are poorly sealed.......you can have nice airtight stoves that are light as a feather......

I personally avoid anything with controls that feel poor.......are made from light gauge steel.........or stoves that have exposed bolts, nuts and fastenings...........also heated air wash is something you don't get on the cheaper stoves and it makes a huge difference to how clean the glass keeps......I also avoid stoves that aren't mainstream brands as you don't have much choice of where to get parts and backup if there's only one company in the country selling them.

I've looked at the website for the Modern Stoves......I have no experience of them.......they're pretty cheap so I wouldn't expect anything amazing but you'll have to buy one and see what you think......if it's no good just eBay it and buy another.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals