Help needed: What freeview PVR to get??

Options
Hi we want to get a freeview PVR for our bedroom before the digital switch off in this area at the end of march. We know we can get freeview and we want a a twin tuner so we can watch and record at the same time, so we have a basic idea of what we want.

But the problem is it seems if every one I look at, the reviews are awful and full of problems and software updates bladdy bladdy bla :mad:... Its a complete mind field ... Please can people recomend decent brands, models any good offers etc.

Thanx Cathy:j

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I strongly recommend the Humax 9300T. It does what you want and can record two programmes while you watch a third, also you can set it to record a whole series.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    You can compare the features of all available models here http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/resources/compare-freeview-pvrs/. I suggest you choose a model with the features that you want and then go to Amazon and look at owners reviews. Alternatively there are forums dedicated to each model where once again you will find peoples experiences of their receivers.
  • davemurgatroyd
    Options
    The problem with forums dedicated to one make is that many posters (fanboys) tend to gloss over the faults of their particular favourite and rubbish all other makes.

I would suggest forums such as Digital Spy
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90
    or AV Forums
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/

To give a wider view across different makes and models.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for the Humax 9300T: Richer Sounds have some good deals on it.
    There are two versions now available, 320GB and 500GB.
    This is assuming that you don't want the Freeview HD channels.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    If you do want HD take a look at Digitalstream. Good pricing and support.
  • streetsaver
    Options
    I'd recommend the Humax 9150T.It has a 160GB hard disc , which is plenty for me (although I'm the only user).I find it very reliable.
    Humax seem to be the the most popular brand for Freeview+ , although this may change.I did read that suppliers in some areas were struggling to meet demand for Humax pvrs recently.
    I've been through a couple of PVRs in the last few years , a Thompson and then a Logic model.I took them both back due to software problems which were not sorted out.
    Hope this helps.
  • Intoodeep
    Intoodeep Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd recommend the Humax 9150T.It has a 160GB hard disc , which is plenty for me (although I'm the only user).I find it very reliable.
    Humax seem to be the the most popular brand for Freeview+ , although this may change.I did read that suppliers in some areas were struggling to meet demand for Humax pvrs recently.
    I've been through a couple of PVRs in the last few years , a Thompson and then a Logic model.I took them both back due to software problems which were not sorted out.
    Hope this helps.

I got myself a 9150T, a couple of weeks ago, went straight to Humax directly. Delivery next day :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure