PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Morning all!
    Trying to summon the ooomph to go to the supermarket in the monsoon we currently have up north. Not good!

I have written a list and a meal plan and HAVE to keep the spending as low as I can - the funeral and all it entails has ruined my plans financially this month.

Not keen on going as its pouring but perhaps that will mean it will be quiet? Will report back with the damage later:o
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    ok so i think ive finally caught up!!!!! Does anyone know roughly when the march thread will be up and running? then ill be much more on the ball.

So sorry for your loss Helen!! I lost someone last month - so so hard!

And to all of you who are having a hard time in one way or another - stay strong and ride the waves we are all here for you,last month was so so hard for me financially and emotionally but i have come out the otherside thanks to all you wonderful people!

Having a rough start to the month - hubbys car has died so we have been thrown into one car situation too early and are not prepared! But im sure we will have to bumble our way through - not sure what we are going to do with the car though no point spending money on it to get it started as we planned to get rid of it in 3weeks and we buy any car we will end up paying tehm!

£11.16 spend so far this month on groceries.May take stock of what weve got and then stock up on tins etc i need to get on top of work lunches again too!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • minnie2 wrote: »
    Having a rough start to the month - hubbys car has died so we have been thrown into one car situation too early and are not prepared! But im sure we will have to bumble our way through - not sure what we are going to do with the car !

Do you have a local scrap yard? look thru your local papers as dad got someone to pay £100 for his broken banger and the collected it!

HTH

SS
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    around here you have to pay £65 for them to take your car for scrap - have thought about freecycle but that was when it actually worked!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gdyr1945 wrote: »
    ... Another topic: does anyone use the 'cash back sites'? How do you feel about the companies that offer a large payment (£20-£40) for taking a free month (you must remember to cancel) trial. I haven't tried these yet as feel a bit guilty as I have no intention of continuing after the original period. On the other hand why not if they offer? ...

Hi gdyr,

I've used Quidco for the past year and have earned over £400 from them. I haven't yet used the sign up then cancel offers but if they're offering then go for it. The important thing is to remember and ensure you cancel at the right time. Hope that helps.

Take care all,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Good morning everyone Just back from MrS and have spent £61.31 quite alot seeing I'm on my own in the week and have a freezer stuffed with food. Do have 2 teenagers with me a the weekend so did get some treats for them. Have a good weekend.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    I've done quite a few little shops this month but have lost most of my receipts!!
    I can remember 73p at tesco on soy milk, £1.48 on museli bars & tinned toms at Lidl, but can't remember what I spent at Sainsburys!
    Flour, tea bags, soy milk, chicken liver, pasta, honey, soy yoghurts, dried butter beans and biscuits. I'm thinking ~£7.50 but could be a quid either way :o
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    minnie2 wrote: »
    ok so i think ive finally caught up!!!!! Does anyone know roughly when the march thread will be up and running? then ill be much more on the ball. ...

Pink or zippy usually start a new thread on the 28th of the current month but as Feb is a short month they may start the march thread earlier; maybe keep an eye out from about the 25th Feb.

They usually post on the current thread to let us know when the new thread is up and running ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • DansMum_2
    DansMum_2 Posts: 948 Forumite
    Scrap yards in my area are paying at least £170 for a dead car :eek: Thats gone up in 18 months as I took my last dead one there and got £100 for it - only cost me £250 :D

Reporting first spend on Thursday of £37.40 Got a big load of ground almonds, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg stall and some bits from T*sco... But when I got home I made a nut roast (11 meals) low carb choc nut muffins (8 of) flapjacks and low carb cheesecake (8 servings) so pretty happy :D
    MFW 2011 No. 161 £946.54/£2000 Target
    April 9/15 :p March 14/15 :( Feb NSD 15/14 :D
    April GC £121.00/£130 March GC £127.60/£150 :D
    I Love my Furbabies :smileyhea
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Failed on the NSD. Had to pop to local shop for Dog treats. Otherwise he sulks. They'd run out of Dentasticks so he's got Schmackos. I refuse to get the car out to go to Mr T just for him and I've worked out I can get through to Monday with what I have when I'd have to take the car out anyway.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport