PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cutiepieabf
    Options
    martafdz wrote: »
    How do you do that?! I can only mean plan for a week maximum, I run out of ideas! Could you please and if you do not mind just post a few meals so I can get inspiration? :o

I have 4 kiwis I need to use, I saw a recipe with yogurt to make some kiwi frozen dessert so I think I will give it a try. If it is good, I will post it later.

do you have a SC? i will post my 4wk plan when i get chance tonight.
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Xspender is the recipie for the quorn and leek pie you mentioned on here if not would you share it please:) it sounds nice.

another NSD here, jacket pots and quorn mince for dinner and we are out for a meal tonight with friends DH pays if we eat out:T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • cutiepieabf
    Options
    Hello, my name is KarmaChi and I can't waste food!

OK there is a reason for the melodrama - last week my housemate made some lovely chocolate (& cougette!) cupcakes. And they lasted really well (I think because of the vegetable content) but then by this week they were a little dry, but we had a dozen left.

As I say, can't stand waste. Actually it's getting a little out of control - my housemates constantly over buy, so I go around hoovering up their abandoned fridge items! They haven't said anything, so I think they either don't mind or haven't even noticed! :p

So I came up with the idea of making tiramisu with the stale cake (I asked my housemate about this one, it wouldn't go unnoticed!)- had everything but the mascapone, so ended up spending £2.80 to rescue some cake that I hadn't paid for or made! And lost a NSD to it! I felt very conflicted over that one! :rotfl:

Ah well, it's not completely crazy, I have friends coming to stay tonight so now I have a lovely desert to serve them!

Also picked up some whoopsies when buying the mascapone, so another £3.55 to add to the total . . . off to update sig.

great idea! i make cakes as a hobby for friends and family, and often have loads of off-cuts, etc. So what i do is layer the bottom of a dish with the cake offcuts, and then layer an angel delight over the top and stick in the fridge. Its so scrummy and even if the cake is a little stale the angel delight re-moistens it. :D

• jovi20
    jovi20 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Last three days have been NSD's, However we are really getting down to the last few bits in the freezer. I have never seen it so empty, just got one loaf of bread, two part bags of frozen veg, 2 cod in batter portions, one weight w*tchers chocolate pudding (don't know how that managed to stay there so long), 4 beef burgers and some ice cubes.

Fridge isn't looking much better either, still got some eggs, milk , margarine, some left over beef from last night's dinner, some old carrots and 12 cans of diet c*ke. (We Can never run out of diet c*ke, I would rather eat the dried up carrots) Although I have just had an e-mail from As*a and they have an offer on at the moment, case of 30 cans of coca c*lo, or diet c*ke for £8.00, reduced from £10) Thats about 26.5p per can, can anyone get it cheaper elsewhere?

Looks like its the left over beef tonight, fish tomorrow and I'm going shopping after that!!

jovi20.
    :T 2015 TARGETS :T
    Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings £100 per month £300 /£1200
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nsd for me today, i just relised with everything going on i havent been shopping in 2 weeks other than the cooked chicken a few days back and the bag of spuds, and acually we still have loads of food, i had intended on doing fortnightly shops next month to see how it goes i'm quite hopeful now :), i'm gonna try hold out and see how long i can go without going now, since i have loads of bread in the freezer (and some bread flour) theres also 2liters of milk in there and lots of meat :) could prob do with some fresh veg tho
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 February 2011 at 3:42PM
    Options
    SavingJane wrote: »
    ... We used to buy lot of potato croquetts, waffles, ect and now I'm not buying them wonder what different things I can do with freash pot's to go with meals. Other then roast, sliced and diced. We don't like mash so that's out...thanks

you might find some more ideas on the How many things can you do with potatoes thread

we also have an Inspiration for New Potatoes thread

loads of other potato threads too, do an Advanced Search and select 'Search Titles Only' ;)

cutiepieabf
    - I've put your 'potato ideas' post into the index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • cutiepieabf
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    you might find some more ideas on the How many things can you do with potatoes thread

we also have an Inspiration for New Potatoes thread

loads of other potato threads too, do an Advanced Search and select 'Search Titles Only' ;)

cutiepieabf - I've put your 'potato ideas' post into the index :T

Lol, thank you rosieben!! :T

• kirsty822001
    Options
    hi I have nEARLY done it!!!
    I have 4 more meals to plan and cook but surely even i wont spend £35,,,,not tempting fate but am sooooo excited to hopefully come in at or under budget! I went shopping yesterday and already updated sig,,,Fridge/cupboards full of lunch stuff and have all stuff to replenish the tins with cakes and biscuits,,just gotta get some meat for tomorrows tea,,1 pizza for fri and something to cook for sat/sun/mon,,,,,meat for sun,,dunno for sat or mon,,prob leftovers mon or fry up so that leaves sat to sort wont be too hard.
    There is only a few bits left in freezer,,could russtle something together for sat,,maybe if everyone eats something different out freezer lol
    March already looming wow where do these months go?!
    Life happens when you are busy making other plans ;)

Sealed Pot Member #1149 (£340 saved 2011)
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    do you have a SC? i will post my 4wk plan when i get chance tonight.

:o what is a SC? Storage cupboard? If so, not really. I have a corner cupboard that is about 30cm deep and 60 cmm wide with a shelf in the middle. So one of those kitchen units cupboards in a corner. Also only a fridge freezer with 3 average drawers. I would like to buy a narrow chest freezer.
    It's a rented flat and the contract does not allow us to make holes on the wall, otherwise I could have put quite a few shelves. It's also a small flat and it's already overcrowded. I have cordial in the corridor, coffee and washing tablets in a box behind a table and all the cleaning stuff in the bathroom underneath the sink. There's no room underneath the bed, otherwise it would be great as I could put loads but for some stupid reason the divan we have is a block that goes right to the ground and does not allow for storage under the bed, only dust and fluff.. :rotfl:My first proper week of planning is going well, I am sticking to it. But I think I will buy the freezer in March so I could store many other fresh items like bread and avoid the stores more. :o
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

:grouphug: to everyone who needs one, hope you are all well.

I havent posted for a few weeks but kept up with my signature and very happy to say final figure for Feb is £229.86 i know im over by £4.86, but i have taken into account my spend at Boots stocking up on shampoo, shower gel, deoderant & bubble bath, must have enough for 6-9 months. Big thanks to OP on the Boots offer thread, spent £19.19 but saved about £50 :eek:

Need to have a think about Marchs budget and what I need to stock up on.

Just like to say a BIG THANKS to everyone on the thread, just wish I had found it many years ago, but never mind, just look forward.

Got to go now to bake some cookies :T and put tea on.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport