Really angry with Co-op Funeralcare.

Options
Don't know if I'm posting this on the right board but really need to have a rant at Co-op Funeralcare and their complete lack of sensitivity/tact.

My granddad died last Saturday.

My mum decided to use the Co-op to arrange the funeral as they had organised my granny's and she thought they were really good.

Never again.

She phoned them as soon as she arrived on the Saturday afternoon to go and see my granddad as she hadn't been with him when he died and they said it would be Monday.

So she arranged an appointment for the Monday to sort out the details of the funeral and thought well she could see him them.

Come Monday they told her that he still wasn't ready and she couldn't see him and that they would be in touch when she could.

The funeral was arranged for Tuesday 1st Feb at 4.15pm.

It's now nearly a week since he's died and she still hasn't been allowed to see him which has upset her.

To make things even worse she phoned them this morning to find out why they haven't been in contact about seeing him and they told her that the person who booked the funeral has doubled booked so we can't have that time anymore but she could have it at the same time on Wednesday.

My mum said no as lots of us have booked time off work etc and would be going home on Wednesday (my granddad lived in England and were all in Scotland and my uncle lives in Spain) and they said "Oh, have you already told people". They then said "well I suppose we can fit you in at 5".

I'm absolutely fuming :mad:.

How on earth do you double book a funeral?

Why would she not have told people 4 days before the funeral?

Would they even have bothered to let her know or would they have told us when we arrived at 4.15pm and somebody else's funeral was taking place?

And then to say "we can fit you in at 5" like it's a dentist appointment.

The only saving grace is we were expecting my granddad to die ( he was 104 and had been ill for a while) so the whole thing hasn't been a shock as otherwise my mum would be in bits.

You would think of all companys that need to be sensitive and show a bit of caring it would be them but obviously not.

Sorry rant over but I really needed to let off steam.

Stelly xx
"Opportunity only knocks once.
It doesnt knock, knock again, then leave a note asking you to give it a call back when you've got your s*** together".
John Connolly

Comments

• grey_lady
    grey_lady Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Options
    That is terrible and I think you should be saying it to the staff or their manager that you've been unfortunate enough to be dealing with.

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss as well.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Shocking treatment! A complete lack of sensitivity at time when you most need support. I think you should write a complaint to the management over this.
  • scot88
    scot88 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    How awful for your family Stelly. I used the co-op for my husbands funeral and I wouldn't go near them again. I had to ask them about getting a priest as I'm not Catholic and my husband didn't ever go to chapel. When I wouldn't agree to the priest's expensive "additions"...sorry I don't know correct word..they lost all interest in helping me. They quickly changes their tune when I came back to them saying that I had a Canon conducting funeral..fell over themselves then. However on the day they were very late turning up at the house..family very upset. I wish, with hindsight I had made a complaint at the time...so once things are over and you are a bit more settled...do complain.
    Well done your grandad for reaching 104.
  • stelly
    stelly Posts: 402 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the above.

I know it may sound heartless but it's actually a relief.

He had a stroke last year, lost all ability to talk, couldn't understand most of what was said to him and really had no quality of life.

He went to sleep on Friday night, the carers said it was the most peaceful they had seen him for weeks and then just passed away.

Myself and my mum don't think the Co-op intended to be so tactless but I'm going to write and complain after the funeral as i would hate for this to happen to someone else.

Stelly xx
    "Opportunity only knocks once.
    It doesnt knock, knock again, then leave a note asking you to give it a call back when you've got your s*** together".
    John Connolly
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't label the whole company as awful. We've just had a funeral arranged by the Co-op and everything went well.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The coop dealt with my mum's funeral and they were amazing. When we had difficulty with the stone-mason not returning our calls and delaying things, they took over, contacted him on our behalf, and sorted it out, even though this had not been arranged through them.

On the other hand, we had a local independent for my sister, and that was an utter and total shambolic farce from beginning to end (think of the fawlty towers of undertakers and you're not even close!)

Unfortunately a funeral isn't something you can return for your money back if it isn't up to standard, and it is sad when this sort of thing happens.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would definitely write to the head office. Co-op in general are very keen on delivering good service and hopefully they would able to work with this branch to ensure their service is better in the future. Then hopefully they would not have other people experiencing the same problems as your Mum.

Hope your grandad's funeral is alright in the end, we've had 2 in the last few weeks sadly and were pleased with the independent funeral companies used on the whole.
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I hear my mum ranting about the Coop all the time! She settles estates and says they are the worst for hounding the families for money - in some cases harassing the family into paying by CC instead of waiting for the estate to pay out........
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stelly, l'm so sorry for your loss l'm sure your grandad was a very interesting man to be such a good age.

As for the co-op...... put a strong complaint into them and not just the funeralcare you've used but also their head office and make the funeralcare aware you have CC'd (carbon copied') the complaint to head office.

There's shoddy service and insensitive service but there's NEVER a time when shoddy insensitive service is acceptable! :mad:

Make them aware that you will not be paying for the funeral until you are happy these issues have been robustly investigated and the people concerned fully aware of your anger and upset.

Hope everything goes well, l'd be tempted to get your grandad taken to another home and tell the co-op to swivel for their money, but l'm just a stickler when it comes to respect. :(

Happy moneysaving all.
  • bertie200
    bertie200 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    so sorry for your sad loss.

I would suggest after the funeral send a very strong letter to the Head-Office advising all your complaints before you pay the final balance.
    bertie200

2011 - best wins - Coca-Cola Fridge, Galaxy Tablet, Kodak Printer, Roberts DAB Radio, £200 Voucher, John Lewis Hamper, Tassimo Coffee Machine :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure