DPD Driver Franchise

Options

Comments

• 2rossi2
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this whole forum but I am looking for work as I had to leave my old job due to an injury. Looking to get back into work now I'm fit again. Hearing mainly bad things but some good things aswell. I don't want to be conned into a job because I have a young little man and a flat to pay for so it's important I provide for my son. Is this really worth going for. I am extremely hard working and the hours don't put me off nor do the amount of deliveries. For me the start up costs I don't currently have because of my outgoings etc. So that would be an initial hurdle to cover. To me all I need is a job that pays me at least 1200 a month in order to cover bills and childcare etc. Is this possible realistically.
    Thanks for any help.
  • NeilLangley
    Options
    Hi, you posted a thread back in April 2013 about just starting as a franchisee with DPD and said you would give updates as to how its going and your relationship with DPD. I am currently out of work but have done some Multi Drop work and am thinking of becoming a franchisee with DPD. I know all the in's and out's of being self employed and that you only achieve good results if you are prepared to put a massive effort in. Just need to know how your business is doing and would you still recommend doing it. love to hear from you urgently. many thanks Neil.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you know you need to put massive efforts in to be self employed then why risk being a slave?
    Go self employed where the terms are yours?

They probably forgot how many accounts they created on here.

Thread from a year or so back says the best jobs with them are internal ones not franchisee ones. And all for £8.90 an hour. Seriously?

I was doing multidrop work as an employee upto 2006 and earned more than that. Took my HGV because they offered a £90 a week bonus for doing a night out, plus the £20 or so night out money. This dropped to half for newer drivers and the night out money also got cut due to tax changes?

I told the boss i wouldnt be doing nights out for an extra £45 a week, it wasnt worth it. He said he knows what i earn and i said still not worth it to me.

I only worked 5 days a week and i could earn more than the night out money doing a couple of hours of car repairs at the weekend.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Locks2303
    Locks2303 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 January 2017 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Currently in the process of trying to get started with DPD (ODF) and would therefore like to hear from anyone currently working with them in such a role RE what current earnings etc are and if it is in fact a route that I should definitely be pursuing??? Private messages would probably be the best bet as this would eliminate any posts from previous workers with grudges / source grapes posting info that is out of date!!! Thanks in advance. �� JUST LOOKING FOR INFO ON CURRENT WORKING CONDITIONS. Cheers
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 February 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Bit late but...
    A private message is more likely to be a problem than a public posted one.

I get tons of PMs on other forums, i always respond to start a thread or to ask in the thread and link me to it. If i slip up then someone will pick up on it and correct me.

Current earnings will depend on the location and the number of drops which will vary from day to day and how many hours your willing to put in.
    Read the threads about missing shifts etc...

Do you want a job where you could potentially be paying the employer if you miss shifts?

Im sure someone will be joining very soon to tell you what a brilliant business it is and how they earn a ton of money and only work 2 hours day.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Invest987
    Invest987 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guys, Please can you let me know if this franchise is suitable for a husband and wife team. Willing to work hard but our family is important so 5 days is preferable. Can we do that?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The_Oveys wrote: »
    Guys, Please can you let me know if this franchise is suitable for a husband and wife team. Willing to work hard but our family is important so 5 days is preferable. Can we do that?

I dont see why not, do you mean both driving separate vans or sharing the driving of 1 van ?
  • Tiktak
    Tiktak Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I'm an ODF with DPD. Anyone looking for an honest, unbiased appraisal or just has general questions can ask me at tiktak63@virginmedia.com
  • Kadimaslam1980
    Options
    I was wondering if I could have some advice!..
    I have my own brand new van and courier insurance however I'm unable to find anybody who will give me the chance to work... I have in the past served a prison sentence for a drugs offence, I made a mistake and have paid a heavy price I have applied for 100's of jobs only to be told they won't employ me!. I was wanting to apply as owner driver for DPD but to be honest couldn't take another knock back and at the point of rock bottom
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Kadim

When you say you can't find anyone to give you work because of your past conviction, who are you approaching? Firms with a similar set up to DPD, City Sprint etc, which will give you work pretty much every day, but you will be locked into only their work?

I ask because I set myself up with my own van back in the early 90s, when such systems weren't in place. I got work directly from a company that did plastic trunking and made a bit up by working for freight forwarders bringing freight back. Modern day is prob ably to look at some of the courier freight exchanges for a back load. You may even get loads out, but they are notoriously poorly paid. If you are working like that, no-one is going to ask about past convictions, so it might be worth toughing out the rejections and seeing if any local firms can give you work.

It will be tough and it will require a lot of luck, but it is an option.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback